THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

Big Dog

Hey everybody,
I just wanted to stop by and see if anyone has anything to say about Klose Pits. I talked to him on the phone the other day and he is one of the nicest guys I have ever talked to and would rather give the business to him over anyone else. But also, if anyone has anything to say about any other pit that they like, that is also welcome, just let me know why you like them as well. Thanks for all the help and any comments are welcome!

Klose pits are excellent and have a great reputation. It would be hard to go wrong with one of Dave's pits. But, tell us more about what you are looking for, how you plan on using it and how many people you are cooking for. There area lot of quality pits out there including the Spicewine cookers made by one of our own. It just depends on what you want.

I have had 2 Klose pits..They are great pits. My Backyard chef is still my all time favorite pit.. it locks in at 250 and stays there on a fire the size of a beercan... or give it some fuel and cook pizza at 550-600.

MOAB was a custom made(by DK) vertical offset. I used it for a few years and sold it to BigDog. She was so big she just wasnt getting enuf use with all the pits around here, so it went of to another member of our family.

They are great quality pits and you wont be disappointed.

If you're looking for an offset they are near top of the line. Now for competition of course there's Jambo pits but for home or home/occasional comp use I would highly recommend them. I had 2 of his bigger mobile models but now use FEC100's as my knees gave out and I need a trailer with a kitchen all on one level.

I don't own one, but really want one at some point. Did alot of checkin a few years back and even drove to Las Vegas to decent sized competition a few years back, just to see some first hand. Talked to several owners, and they all had good things to say - not a single complaint from anybody. As a rough estimate, between a quarter and a third of the competitors were using Klose.

If you're looking for a classic stick burner, it's one of the best out there, but you have to pay some pretty serious $$$ to get one, Many will say you can save some $$ and get a different brand that's just as good, but I still lust after a Klose (got it all figured out exactly which one to get after I win the Lottery :biggrin:)

Well, right now I have a cabinet smoker that I bought at Lowe's for 149. It has been a great deal, but I can't cook low and get smoke because of they way it uses the firebox and it is very thin material. I have been using it a lot and that is why I want to upgrade. Anyway, I am looking for a high quality smoker that will last me for a while. I think I'll be feeding about a max of 20, and really want to be able to cook things like brisket and pork shoulder. I would rather have a wood burn over anything else, but I am open-minded and will take any suggestions. Sorry for rambling and thank you for the help.

Well, right now I have a cabinet smoker that I bought at Lowe's for 149. It has been a great deal, but I can't cook low and get smoke because of they way it uses the firebox and it is very thin material. I have been using it a lot and that is why I want to upgrade. Anyway, I am looking for a high quality smoker that will last me for a while. I think I'll be feeding about a max of 20, and really want to be able to cook things like brisket and pork shoulder. I would rather have a wood burn over anything else, but I am open-minded and will take any suggestions. Sorry for rambling and thank you for the help.

If you want sturdy construction and one that won't break the bank you should check out Diamond Plate Pits

Customer service is top notch. You should get that impression when dave himself calls and not one of his office people. The smokers are next to none.

I have had one for four years now. I love it.

Dave, Dana(his sister), and Monty are all great to work with.

I think apples to apples, they are priced very fairly. Lot's of guys around here use Horizon cookers. They are nice too, but the welding, paint job, tightness, and overall design of the Klose Pits are superior for pretty much the same dollars.

Diamond Plate Pits are nice and good cookers for the money, but they are made from thinner steel, and are not an apples to apples comparison. Just look at the trailer design alone. They are not as tight nor do they hold heat as well. I've cooked on them too. They do offer a lot of real estate for the money though, and Travis is a really good guy.

Like Ford said, Jambos are the hot pit on the comp circuit right now, their fit and finish is one level up from Klose.

Besides Klose, wood burners with good reputations include the Pitts and Spitts and Gator pits that Vinny mentioned plus Meadow Creek and Peoria Custom Cookers for offsets, and Spicewine, Stumps and Backwoods for cabinet smokers. There are others but those come to mind immediately for home use. The cabinet smokers like the Spicewine tend to require less tending and hold temp for longer periods.

I cook on a Klose mobile unit. It is an easy tow, well balanced.
The only pit i would trade for is a bigger Klose. :)
If you want an offset cooker you will be very happy with these.
The quality and service is unmatched.
If you look around, compare apples to apples, Daves pits are fairly priced.
jon

Okay, thanks a lot guys. By the way, do you guys use all of these pits or just know that they are good? If you do, I would love to hear why, if there is anything in particular, or if it is just a great pit in general. Thanks so much!

I am looking for a backyard pit, I'm not really sure on the budget, I'm just going to try and find the best pit for me and see if I can make it work.

C-Town, do you know of any other place I should look for those? The website didn't work for me and neither did a search. I would love to take a look if there is a place to find them.

Are you going to be cooking for 20 all the time or is your standard cook going to be a lot smaller? To me a big ol' Klose would be great to have but overkill for my backyard. But my cooks are usually smaller.

Back