Ribeyes on the Santa Maria

edmonds

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Enjoying my new grill. Love the flavor of open fire pit cooking. I like it with a little bit of flame.

Small ribeye steaks from homegrown grass-fed Dexter. I wanted to taste the beef, so only salt 60 min before grilling.
Smashed homegrown potatoes with EVO, garlic, salt, rosemary.
Charred homegrown tomatoes with EVO, salt, oregano.
Steaks were 1" thick so cooked directly over hot coals/fire (no reverse sear).
Used chimney of lump charcoal and 3 logs of red oak.

P1040268-1.jpg

P1040271-1.jpg

P1040277-1.jpg

P1040282-1.jpg

P1040284-1.jpg

P1040287-1.jpg

Nice grill! I don't know if I'd like the sides best or the steak.

Great idea on the method of cooking the tomatoes and potatoes.

all of it is awesome! Love to try my hand at a santa maria.

Love me some ribeye over open fire/coals. Your whole cook looks great!

Open fire cooking always seems to add a little something extra.

That's good marbling for grass fed beef :thumb:

Dexter cattle are known for marbling on grass without grain, and their flavor is hard to beat. So I seldom use any seasoning except salt for flavorful cuts like ribeye, picanha, ribs ...

I know you said this is a new grill, but what are your first impressions on that style of grill grate?

I always saw the "v" grates on Argentina grills and thought I would rather have stainless rod to allow the drippings to hit the fire and also be easier clean-up.

Seems like the v design also blocks some direct fire heat that rods would not.

Just wondering what you think.

Cool design with the up-turned angle stock. Should give nice even grill marks. But how do you clean out what collects in the angle?

I know you said this is a new grill, but what are your first impressions on that style of grill grate?

I always saw the "v" grates on Argentina grills and thought I would rather have stainless rod to allow the drippings to hit the fire and also be easier clean-up.

Seems like the v design also blocks some direct fire heat that rods would not.

Just wondering what you think.

I've done 5 cooks so far, and I'm really liking the flavor I get.

As you said, the drippings do not fall onto the fire with Argentine grates. Some people say the vaporizing (burning) fat is what makes grilled meat taste grilled. I dunno, but if the Argentine grates are hot, some of the drippings should be vaporized immediately right below the meat. I don't know how much of that happens, but considerable drippings can be caught by the V-grates (especially chicken fat), and you could even use this as a mop to add back on the meat while it cooks (I haven't tried this yet). At any rate, I am getting used to them. The biggest possible drawback I see is that round/cylindrical pieces of food could roll down the grate (grate is inclined to collect drippings in tray) or maybe into the grooves.

Of course, the reason Argentinians use this style of grate is because there are almost no flare ups. On a kettle you use the lid to control flare ups. The Argentine/Santa Maria grills are open pits and don't have lids.

Clean up seems easy enough. You dump out the removable drippings tray and wipe down the grates.

I don't think there is much heat loss due to blockage. They radiate any heat they absorb.

I also have a set of "laser cut" grates but haven't tried them yet.

Sorry for the long answer.

Cool design with the up-turned angle stock. Should give nice even grill marks. But how do you clean out what collects in the angle?

The grate is inclined and drippings run into a removable tray. I clean the grate with a wet Grill Rescue Brush, which steam cleans the grate and removes most leavings.

Thanks. The flair up thing makes sense. Maybe if I used one long enough I wouldn't be on the fence about it.

I guess no hot dogs or sausage due to the rolling unless you use a basket.

I guess no hot dogs or sausage due to the rolling unless you use a basket.

I've grilled two big batches of hot dogs on my argentinian grates; I struggled enough with the first one to consider getting a set of flat grates but I just angled the dogs about 30 degrees for the second batch and that minimized rolling.

Attachments

• PXL_20220530_210253483.jpg
    PXL_20220530_210253483.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 51
Back