Do you cover your custom smoker??

cbixby

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am getting a new custom built smoker very soon, and of course there are no "covers" available for it. It is very well built and painted accordingly, but I am wondering, since it sits in the elements 24x7 would it be worth my time and money having a custom cover made for it?

Just wondering what the other brethren out there are doing? And are there people out there that create custom covers (I like in the Kansas City area) just in case someone knows.

Thanks in advance!
Chad ~

(pic below of what my smoker will look like)

smoke1.jpg

I don't think you have to get a custom cover made, but if you find a place let me know. I used a heavy duty tarp and bungee cords from Home Depot before I moved to a house with a garage.

PS Nice rig. Where did you get it?

Vinylcoveringsbymel.com can make custom ones. He said it would be $79 for a custom one for my lonestargrillz vertical cabinet. Might email him

Thanks guys!! I'll look into it & let you know.

I don't think you have to get a custom cover made, but if you find a place let me know. I used a heavy duty tarp and bungee cords from Home Depot before I moved to a house with a garage.

PS Nice rig. Where did you get it?

glennssmokers.com!

Mine is still being built as we speak, but this is what it will look like when it's complete here in a week or so. (Excited!!!!)

NICE smoker! Can't wait for some pron!

Waterproof covers will trap moisture against the metal and cause rust, breathable fabric will cost you a shank and a ham ... errr, an arm and a leg.

I'd sure cover up the tires if nothing else, the sun will tear them up in nothing flat. Look around in RV-ing websites for tire covers.

Better yet, take them off and store them in the attic - added security, dontchaknow.

Good thinking on the moisture, didn't think about that.

And another good idea on the wheels.

Thanks much!!

My pleasure! :-D hth!

I grew up in the Red Bridge area, went to Longview Comm College in the early '70s. Is the school mascot still the "Slug" ??? The admin. and jocks would put it to a vote every semester, the hippies (Who? Me?) would always out-vote them by a landslide!

I garage my smoker but if I had to leave it outside I would tarp it or build a cheap carport or buy the metal ones you see on the side of the road for $695 to keep some elements off it .

With lights and a table or two, chairs, maybe some Tunes - BBQ no matter the weather.

A custom fit cover would really set it off. Will be expensive, but it would look good and protect it if the trailer and all were covered

Smitty's idea is good also, like he says, Q anytime any weather.

The custom covers I have available for all of my smokers are made by a local auto upholstery guy. He uses the best outdoor heavy vinyl he can find. They are a must have if it's just sitting out in the open. You might check with some auto restoration shops also.
rio-cover
http://www.bighatbbq.com/store/rio-cover

I got a cover built for my LSG here. It wasn't cheap ($600), but it is guaranteed for 10 years. My smoker sits out in the Texas elements, so I need a cover. This thing is heavy and heavy duty...

A good quality cover that won't cause rust is too expensive IMO. I have some surface rust around the hinges on my FB. I'll brush that area and spray a little rustoleum 1200*. The next time it has some rust, I'll do the same. If the steel is 1/4" or more, it will outlast me, anyway.

I cover offsets with snow about every December. And leave that cover on until my days off. Oh wait never mind. That's not helpful. Honestly, I leave all of mine out, with the exception of the Weber kettles. I do cover them. But my view may be off due to that fact that I make them. So if I do have any problems it can just roll them into the shop and fix and repaint. No trouble yet though

Thanks for that good info, I emailed Mel and I will be sending a pic so that he can build a custom cover for my A-1

Poly Tarps will trap moisture.

If I had a trailer pit and couldn't keep it under cover, I would throw a breathable Tent Trailer or small RV cover over it.

Back