5-Tin SPAM Brownies!

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
I thought I would give this recipe it's own thread to make it easier for people to find using the search feature.

Yes, that's right, this recipe has FIVE loaves of SPAM in it. It is designed for those true SPAM connoisseurs who believe that there is no such thing as too much SPAM.

The primary goal in the development of this recipe was to make them as SPAMmy as possible. The more SPAM, the better. This is along the same line of thinking as those who try to make brownies as chocolatey as possible by adding more and more chocolate at every conceivable step. This recipe adds SPAM everywhere I could think to add it, and eliminated any and all unnecessary ingredients that could take away from the SPAM experience, providing the SPAMmiest brownies I could possibly make!

Can you feel the love? I did this for YOU! Now kick back, relax, and enjoy the ultimate SPAM brownie experience. (condensed recipe with measurements is at the end of this post).

To start, for the brownie batter itself, my intention is to replace the oil/butter in a normal brownie recipe with SPAM. I do this by using substituting a 12oz loaf of SPAM for a 1/2 cup of oil or stick of butter.

So I start with some SPAM, Sugar, Eggs and Vanilla in a bowl. I ran the SPAM through my grinder, but you could also run it through a food processor instead of using a grinder. This is a double batch, so I used two cans of SPAM.

IMG_1663.jpg

I mixed these "liquid" ingredients together, and then added Flour and Baking Powder. I did not add any salt, assuming that the SPAM had plenty.

IMG_1665.jpg

You'll notice I did not add Cocoa Powder. That is because I believe the cocoa will take away from the SPAM flavor. Anyone who thinks brownies must be chocolate can rest assured, this recipe is still chocolate, but is SPAM Chocolate instead. This will become more apparent shortly.

I mixed the liquid and dry ingredients together.

IMG_1667.jpg

This is the point where chocoholics might add chocolate chips or chunks to a normal brownie recipe, so it is important that we bring even more SPAM to the recipe at this point. Since I could not find any SPAM chips or chunks in the baking aisle at my grocery store, I had to make my own.

Recall that brownies must be made with chocolate, otherwise those pesky food ninnies out there will lose their minds and insist on calling them "blondies". Also recall how other flavored baking chips are made, and that we wish to make SPAM flavored baking chips. The answer, clearly, is to take some melted white chocolate...

IMG_1658.jpg

...add in a can of ground SPAM...

IMG_1659.jpg

...stir it up...

IMG_1661.jpg

...then spread out to cool and break into chunks. VOILA! SPAM Chocolate Chunks!

IMG_1669.jpg

Now mix the SPAM Chocolate Chunks into the SPAM batter, and you have 100% certifiable SPAM Brownie batter.

IMG_1670.jpg

Since it has chocolate (SPAM Chocolate made from real white chocolate) it is definitely NOT a blondie, but a brownie! However, if you would like to make SPAM Blondie, then simply omit the SPAM Chocolate.

Now pour the batter into a greased and floured pan...

IMG_1671.jpg

...and cook at 350 degrees. Most people bake their brownies, but I prefer to BBQ them, just like my corn and fried chicken. So I bbq'ed this in my Weber bullet smoker with some Pecan chunks to bring a nice smoky flavor.

Pull them out when a toothpick inserted in the middle pulls out clean, the put on a rack to cool.

IMG_1675.jpg

Now, you could eat these as they are, but I am going to take them to the next SPAM level by whipping up some SPAM Frosting!

Let's start with a can of freshly ground SPAM. You could also grind it up in a food processor if you like.

IMG_1672.jpg

Now add Powdered Sugar...

IMG_1673.jpg

...mix and keep adding a little more Powdered Sugar and mixing until you reach the desired sweetness and consistency. I used about 2 more loads of sugar similar to the pic to get it there.

IMG_1674.jpg

Once the SPAM Brownies have completely cooled, spread on the frosting.

IMG_1676.jpg

This looks delicious and all, but I still can't help thinking it could be even more SPAMmy. So I guess it's a good thing I chopped up some SPAM into small strips the day before...

IMG_1657.jpg

...and put them in my dehydrator to make SPAM Sprinkles!

IMG_1662.jpg

There! These SPAM Frosted SPAM Chocolate Chunk Filled SPAM Brownies with SPAM Sprinkles are ready to eat!

IMG_1677.jpg

Now I just need a glass of ice cold SPAM Milk.

IMG_1679.jpg

Here is the recipe!

SPAM Sprinkles
---------------
1 can of SPAM, chopped into small, thin strips.

Place SPAM Strips into dehydrator until they are to your desired texture. Do not store like jerky due to the fat content, but eat within a day or two. I prepared these the day before the brownies.

SPAM Chocolate Chunks
-------------------------
1 pound White Chocolate
1 can SPAM

Run the SPAM through a grinder with a fine plate, or chop in food processor until smooth. Melt white chocolate and stir in SPAM paste. Spread onto plastic in a thin sheet, chill, and break the sheet into chunks.

SPAM Brownies
----------------
1 can SPAM
1 cup white Sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2/3 cup Flour
1/4 tsp Baking Powder

Run SPAM through grinder with fine plate, or chop with food processor until smooth. Stir in Sugar, Eggs and Vanilla. Mix in Flour and Baking Powder. Mix in SPAM Chocolate Chunks if making SPAM Brownies, or leave the SPAM Chocolate Chunks out to make SPAM Blondies.

Pour mixture into a greased and floured 8 inch pan, and BBQ at 325-350 in your smoker until the center no longer looks goopy and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.

I doubled the recipe in my post and baked it in a half-size aluminum pan. I find aluminum pans are the best at shielding BBQ goods from mind control rays.

SPAM Frosting
---------------
1 can SPAM
Powdered Sugar

Run SPAM through a grinder with a fine plate, or chop the SPAM in a food processor until smooth. Stir in powdered sugar until you reach the desired sweetness and consistency you want for your frosting. I used probabl in the neighborhood of 5 cups of sugar.

I still haven't found a recipe for SPAM Milk. Not even a Google search could find anything.

Please let me know if anyone has a recipe.

I'm a little disturbed. All I can think about is the trial and error of this recipe and what that process must have been like. It does, however, look DELICIOUS and I would absolutely try it.

Hmmm. There is an annual Spam cookoff at the fair here each year. I might have to adopt this recipe. A few years back I won it with Sweet and Sour Spam:

Carve spam so that it resembles a prawn shape.
Dip in Tempura batter and deep fry.
Lay out on a platter with Sweet and Sour Sauce all over (Sugar, vinegar, food coloring, touch of corn starch).
Sprinkle with coconut.

Looks just like a platter of S&S Prawns.

Hmmm. There is an annual Spam cookoff at the fair here each year. I might have to adopt this recipe. A few years back I won it with Sweet and Sour Spam:

Carve spam so that it resembles a prawn shape.
Dip in Tempura batter and deep fry.
Lay out on a platter with Sweet and Sour Sauce all over (Sugar, vinegar, food coloring, touch of corn starch).
Sprinkle with coconut.

Looks just like a platter of S&S Prawns.

If you do then I hope it does well!:cool:

You truly have gone way off the deep end this time, haven't you? :loco:

There's got to be a year's worth of sodium in a single serving!

:tsk:

So how did they taste?

:becky:

Thanks for the kind words everyone, but I can't take credit for this one. I was only able to pull off this culinary wonder thank to YOU, all my fellow brethren!

Thank you all very much.

Back