Oil Less Cajun Fried Turkey w/ Bacon AK-47

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Tried smoking this but it did not work :wink::

2j5xbat.jpg

I've deep fried maybe close to 500 Cajun turkeys over the years in peanut oil for Family and Friends. Peanut oil is expensive. I've gone with the Charbroil Big Easy since then and never looked back.

One of the victims:

2chry1j.jpg

The Assault kit:

1z2ew6f.jpg

Injected and ready:

2zitswp.jpg

Dusted:

330d3z6.jpg

Into TBE:

bgeil1.jpg

About 2 + hours later:

2zspdnm.jpg

Partially carved with a bunch of chowhound boys around:

2prb71j.jpg

It's fun and Thanks for viewing!

So how long do the oil free fryers (that phrase just sounds wrong) take to cook a bird?

(looks like the post didn't load fully when I asked...thanks for the pics!)

Last edited:
Love that AK Toast! :thumb: I like the idea of not using oil... is there a way to get a smokey flavor using the Big Easy?

Your turkey looks great!!

So how long do the oil free fryers (that phrase just sounds wrong) take to cook a bird?

DMS, They take approx. 2 1/2 hours verses about 45 mins for a 13 lb. bird in the oil. On the oil side, add another 30 to 45 mins to pour and heat oil up to about 325-350, and then add clean up. You come out way better this way. Then there is the cost of the Peanut oil. This stuff ain't Crisco.

Love that AK Toast! :thumb: I like the idea of not using oil... is there a way to get a smokey flavor using the Big Easy?

Your turkey looks great!!

Thank you cowgirl, Charbroil has come out with another rig that's supposed to smoke, grill and do a 20 lb turkey. My rig is good up to a 16 lb bird.

I'm into the fried side on bird. Been thinking about doing a chicken on the WSM though.

I had one and did not like the way it cooked. Gave it to a friend who loves it. My problem is that any flavor will come from the injection and rub. Tried some mods to add wood but due to the cold spot at the bottom that did not work.
Char Broil has a newer model that has a wood box. That should work well.
Another tip is if you are using a digital thermometer, be very careful with the probe wire. The temps out of the top are very hot and will melt the cable insulation. I ruined two cables trying to use the digital.

Thanks for the replies Friends. TBE paid for itself the first 2 uses vs. peanut oil.

Love my big easy for a turkey.

For a smokey flavor, you can use the outer ring of a springform cake pan. Put the ring in the bottom and the wood chips on the outside of the ring. It's good but it is smoke flavored and not smoked.

Love my big easy for a turkey.

For a smokey flavor, you can use the outer ring of a springform cake pan. Put the ring in the bottom and the wood chips on the outside of the ring. It's good but it is smoke flavored and not smoked.
I tried the springform and set the basket on top of the pan. Found that it raised the basket up too high. Wonder if I should have tried placing the pan inside the food basket.
The friend that I gave mine to loaned it to his son and he enjoyed it so much that he got the new larger model for Christmas. Have not seen the new one but seems that the wood box would be a great improvement.
Think it can also be used as a grill.

We just got the CarBroil electric smoker roaster Saturday. Did a brisket point on Monday and now the flat today. Turkey will soon follow the brisket. :grin:

Thanks for the replies Friends. frohe, You should really enjoy that rig. There is a slight learning curve (in my case anyway). :mrgreen:

I got a Big Easy 2 years ago
and like you couldn't see spending all that money for peanut oil. I love TBE it also makes the best baked potato's. Has many uses once you get pass the slight learning curve. Will never over take the love I have for my Ugly Drums, but has a firm place in my cooking arsenal.

Thanks, Toast. Assa lovely bird. Looks similar-enough to the fryers I gave up due to oil pain. My fryer burner now heats my cast iron blackening skillet. Yeah, the spices and injections are up for discussion, and I'm thinking (re:Cowgirls smoke comment) that , after I get my Charbroil, I'll be trying smoking the bird for x time before frying. Anyone - thoughts on opening up the bird for smoke and/or smoking time/temp?

Back