BBQ Moose - 1st Attempt

According to "The New Elk Hunter's Cookbook and Meat Care Guide"

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=BYIXT6zaJNL3tgfAsqn0Ag&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQ8wIwAg

there are many reasons why your moose meat might have been gamey. More than I care to list here. According to one writer, Don Burgess, here are a few generally agreed upon rules for ensuring better meat:

The Fundamentals

• Make quick, clean kills.
  • Quickly reduce internal muscle temperature on a fresh killed animal to 45 F or less.
  • Keep the meat clean & cool.
  • Age the meat.
  • Take care to keep meat clean while cutting & wrapping.
  • Wrap meat in airtight packages for freezing.
  • Thaw frozen meat slowly and let it drain thoroughly before cooking.

Thanks, bro. Where I come from onions, celery, and carrots are the trinity. Growing up, bell peppers were rarely used when roasting meats unless making chili or stuffed peppers.
You got me thinking after I read that so I went and did some homework...which I should have done before i said something:doh:
Up until this point I have only known the cooking term "trinity" to mean just that one combination of veggies I listed. I learned the word actually refers to the combination of any three essential seasoning ingredients in a recipe. Thanks for opening up my eyes on the subject and I hope this doesn't derail your thread any :thumb:

You got me thinking after I read that so I went and did some homework...which I should have done before i said something:doh:
Up until this point I have only known the cooking term "trinity" to mean just that one combination of veggies I listed. I learned the word actually refers to the combination of any three essential seasoning ingredients in a recipe. Thanks for opening up my eyes on the subject and I hope this doesn't derail your thread any :thumb:

It's all good, bro. I appreciate all of your input.

That sure looks good, too bad it was gamey. I've never had moose, but my brother lives in NH and raves about it. I know with deer, as others have said, it's what happens from field to freezer, that determines wether it's gamey or not.

+1 on the gaminess coming from how the animal is killed. A one shot kill hopefully without the critter running off (releasing adrenaline and endorphins) usually helps prevent off taste. How quickly and cleanly an animal is field dressed and aged are also big factors in the end product. And, as stated above, big old bulls (or whitetail bucks) look much better on the wall than they taste on the plate. Which is always my excuse for not getting anything with a big rack :wink:

The key with this kind of meat (yes, even duck) is to get the blood out.

Down here in TX, that's the key as well. One of the common tricks is a long soak in buttermilk. That cuts through the gamey flavor in a hurry, but if the hunk of meat is large and solid, there's only so much you can do.

I've never heard of chicken fried moose, but that would be my first instinct. Treat it like a deer loin, make cutlets, soak in buttermilk, a quick dust of seasoned flour and fry in butter or bacon fat.

D

Would love to have tasted that!! It looks simply heavenly!!One of my favorite meats was bear when I tried it. It had been ground up which perhaps made it not gamey.

brickie

Give me a strong bottle fermented beer like Maudite and I love a games roast. The strong favors of the beer battle it out with the meat, yum. I have had made moose eat burgers and they were not gamey at all.

My first ever attempt at smoking was a caribou roast. Surprisingly tender (ended up being med-rare, don't ask) and while a strong taste not nearly as gamey as most of the deer I have had.

Back