ala Mongo - Poblano Peppers Stuffed with Pulled Pork (Cochinita Pibil)

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I saw this made by Al Czervik (Mongo) and have wanted to make them ever since.

Here’s a link to his cook thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178795
Note: For some reason the pictures are no longer visible so you’ll have to go by memory. (For those of you who remember this cook)

My filling is a little different than his but has everything his had plus some more.

Here are most of the ingredients for the peppers, filling and the rice:

Started out making up some Mexican Rice by first soaking the rice for 15 minutes.

I then cut up some onion, bell pepper and got out some 4 veggie blend to add to the rice.

Sautéed the onions and pepper until they started to sweat.

Then added the 4 veggie blend and cooked it for 5 minutes.

Now I added the drained rice and cooked this until some of the rice started to brown.

I then added this to my rice cooker that had 1 tbsp. of OO, 1 tbsp. of Tapatio hot sauce, 1/2 cup of Clamato Picante juice, 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth and 1 tsp. of salt waiting for it.

Here are the results

While the rice was cooking I started making up my filling. I cut up some onion slivers and started to sauté them.

Throw in some diced potatoes.
19720566465_8939079113_z.jpg

While they are cooking I start to roast my poblanos. (To give them a head start)

More ingredients for the filling.

Added another 1/2 cup of onion slivers.

Beans, corn

the Cochinita

and finally a can of Diced Hatch Chilis.

The Poblanos are just starting to blister so it’s time to take them off and bring them and the filling inside.

Now I cut off the top of the Poblanos

and seed them.

I put some of the rice in a bowl

and mixed it up with some of the cooked filling

And then stirred in 6 oz. of cream cheese. (In 2 oz. batches)

Add some rice to the bottom of the Poblanos.

And now the filling on top of the rice.

Now I place them into an oiled pan

and put them on my kamado. (At 350 degrees) Direct side for a few minutes and then over to the in-direct side.

Here is what they look like after 30 minute. I sprinkled some Kirkland Mexican 4 blend cheese on top and cooked for another 5 minutes.

Here it is plated with some tortillas, rice, beans, pickled onion and a Sierra Nevada Golden IPA.

Here’s a shot after the first bite.

And here is the Money Shot below.

Muy Delicioso! :becky: It tasted like a cross between an ABT, an Enchilada and a Chile Relleno. I will definitely be making these again.

Thanks for looking.

Good Gwad that looks good.:clap2::clap2: all of those steps are a real Labor of Love.

Looks great, but I think my tongue would get confused with all those different ingredients.

Those look great and I bet taste the same way.
I have to try this, I have poblanos hanging, ready to be picked.

You win....you just frikkin' win the internet today. Absolutely what I want and can't have today!

Peppers look amazing but I wanted to jump through the screen and rescue that poor IPA from the Corona treatment!

Back