Prime rib terminology - why not?

That is a nice score. Tis the season for beef ribs other people waste :biggrin1:

Another little fact about Rib roasts in general and Prime Rib in specific.

Ribs 6-9 are referred to as the large end, ribs 10-12 are referred to as the small end. The closer to the large end you are, the more deckle and less rib-eye muscle you get. The closer to the small, the less deckle and larger rib-eye muscle you get. Ribs 11 and 12 will rarely have any deckle at all. So, if you like that fatty flap of meat on a Prime Rib, you want large end, if you want the lean part, then small end.

For a real treat...buy the standing rib roast, from rib 5 to rib 13. That would be nine bones. Find yourself a large-ish rotisserie or Santa Maria grill and roast the entire thing. It should take 2 to 3 hours over a medium fire kicking off 275F to 280F at the meat. Nothing but a Santa Maria type rub. You will be eating a true 1920 to 1940 Santa Maria BBQ.

Hi All
I buy bone in rib primals from Costco is there any way to tell which end I am buying? There is usually 7 bones,15-20lbs.

You are most likely getting ribs 6-13, as that would be the normal rib primal. You can get the IMPS number, that will tell you exactly what you have. No doubts. Once you have the number, there is a chart that gives you all of the numbers. It is HERE

On Edit: In that document, look up item #103, the Rib Primal, shows all you need to know.

Next little fact about Prime Rib, and this one is a favorite of mine. The flap that one finds on Prime Rib, the meat that covered the plate and short ribs and the point on a brisket are all off of a muscle group called the deckle (colloquially). The meat shares a similar character that it is all very fatty, coarsely textured and rich in blood. When cooked long enough, or when nearly raw, it is melting tender. If you can find a butcher that will sell you the plate and short ribs uncut, with the meat still attached, you have the same meat as on a point of a brisket, but, on bones. Cook it until it jiggles, and it will be one of the best meals you ever ate.

Terms are so interesting, and sometimes they become buzzwords (from TV, internet and cookbooks) Flap, cap, lip and deckle are used and confused all the time. I guess it could be a muscle group, but deckle used to refer to something trimmed off and thrown away.... now TV chefs are mentioning prime deckle. And like you mentioned deckle and brisket, a number of folks call the point the deckle, which it is not.

NAMPDeckle.jpg

The way that landarc explains it is the way I have understood it which means that almost every photo of a ribeye steak on this forum is not a true ribeye steak because they include the deckle. They are boneless rib steaks. Further, every steak labeled ribeye in the stores is improperly labeled because they include the deckle or cap. Here is a pic to help illustrate.
deckle.png

Back