Attention: Japanese knife guys, I need help.

I spoke with my buddy this morning at work. He said his wife replied that the markings are a guys name (I take it's the makers name) in the region where the knife came from. She also said that it was a fisherman's knife, and was used for cutting up and scaling fish. He said she did some research on it and it's value is around $60 USD. He told me he would speak with her again and get the exact name and the region as well as Internet sites that she looked it up on. I won't see him again until Monday but I'll let you know what he says.
Thank you.

Sand it with 220 and then up to 400 wet dry sandpaper till it cleaned up. Regrind the tip using some 80-100 grit paper or Norton stone. Sharpen it up and use it.

DerHusker,

Here's the info my buddy sent me.

"Hey Rick,

That knife has 5 total Kanji (Japanese writing)characters. From left to right.. the three larger, darker characters say "Tomosugi". That's the last name of guy that made it. The two smaller, lighter character translate to: made by. Since the Japanese read right to left it basically translates to: "Made by Tomosugi". It's a pretty common knife, mass produced in Japan just rare to see here. Hope that helps."

DerHusker,

Here's the info my buddy sent me.

"Hey Rick,

That knife has 5 total Kanji (Japanese writing)characters. From left to right.. the three larger, darker characters say "Tomosugi". That's the last name of guy that made it. The two smaller, lighter character translate to: made by. Since the Japanese read right to left it basically translates to: "Made by Tomosugi". It's a pretty common knife, mass produced in Japan just rare to see here. Hope that helps."
I had assumed it was a cheap knife but it's nice to know more about it.

Thank you Rick.

Back