My new knife (can you read Japanese?)

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
So.. I've finally stepped into the world of a real knife. Just got it in the mail today. It's not just a knife, there are names behind it, the folks that created it and all.
Sorry, but I had to show her off, she's so pretty. :becky:

I bought it from "chefknivestogo.com", and here are the facts of the knife:

Makoto White #2 Kuro Damascus Santoku 170mm

Makoto Kuro Damascus White #2 Santoku. This is a new line of knives that we are having made for us by Makoto Kurosaki. Makoto and his younger brother, Yu, apprenticed under the watchful eye of notable blacksmith Hiroshi Kato. In fact, Makoto still works for Kato-san some of the time, while also sharing time with his brother in the new shop he has established in Echizen.

This santoku uses a kurouchi finish with damascus cladding to give it a rustic look. He also did this one with a ho wood oval handle with black pakka wood ferrule. The blade, which features Hitachi White Paper #2 as its core steel, is a hammer-forged san-mai construction. One of the things that really captured our attention is the superior grinds at this low price point.
Brand: Makoto
Blacksmith: Makoto Kurosaki
Construction: San Mai
Method: Hammer Forged
Quenching: Water Quenched
HRC: 62+-
Finish: Kurouchi/Damascus
Edge Steel: Shirogami #2 (White #2)
Handle: Ho Wood Oval
Ferrule: Black Pakkawood
Weight: 4.4 ounces
Blade Length: 173 mm
Total Length: 315 mm
Spine Thickness at Base: 3.1 mm
Blade Height: 46.3 mm
Edge Grind: Even

Now... if only someone would tell me what the writing says! :laugh:

20476388_203699473495844_4300994609486314851_n.jpg

Cool have you used a Santoku?

What will you replace with it?

I've got a couple Germans that will go in a drawer now. "Double brothers", you could say. Nothing special, but they were given to me by my mother that paid $5 each for them used from Goodwill. :laugh:
Suffice it to say, this is the finest piece I've ever owned. Not just a step up, but a couple steps.

Happy slicing, dicing, and mincing. Take it slow at first, a round handle always seems strange to me, at first.
Are those the Japanese characters for "Ginsu"?

Last edited:
Back