Training with Dylan Taylor today in Texas

Mattb82

Full Fledged Farker
After reading the awesome reviews of his one on one training on central Texas q I booked a class, flew down yesterday and here I am. Will be training on brisket and pork spares, I think if I would have added a third meat it would have been info overload in one day. Will post pics and review tonight when I get back to the hotel.

I sent that guy multiple emails over the past year as I was really interested in booking a class, and I rarely got a response back. When I did get a response it was "He is booked in catering and too busy for classes". According to the local press he is getting ready to open a restaurant with two friends in the DFW area so I'm surprised that he has time for more classes.

What was your secret for getting this booked? Enjoy, although I'm a little envious right now! I wanted to do Brisket & Sausage!

After reading the awesome reviews of his one on one training on central Texas q I booked a class, flew down yesterday and here I am. Will be training on brisket and pork spares, I think if I would have added a third meat it would have been info overload in one day. Will post pics and review tonight when I get back to the hotel.

Someone has more money than sense.:razz::caked::laugh:

Just kidding, Matt. Please fill us in. I'm interested for sure!

I feel dumb because I have no idea who Dylan Taylor is.

If youre not from Texas and closely follow the BBQ scene, you probably would not know.

Young kid, wealth of info and knowledge who worked at a couple of Texas' top joints started doing 1-on-1 BBQ classes teaching what he knows about cooking Texas BBQ. No secrets, no NDA's to sign, no 30 person classes where you watch a monitor from the back of a class, you're not learning competition BBQ, just good old 1-on-1 hands on instruction learning Texas BBQ where he babysits you from start to finish. As Matt mentioned, the kid is a wealth of knowledge and can cook a brisket to perfection with his eyes closed.

I thought it was worth it.

Last edited:
If youre not from Texas and closely follow the BBQ scene, you probably would not know.

Young kid, wealth of info and knowledge who worked at a couple of Texas' top joints started doing 1-on-1 BBQ classes teaching what he knows about cooking Texas BBQ. No secrets, no NDA's to sign, no 30 person classes where you watch a monitor from the back of a class, you're not learning competition BBQ, just good old 1-on-1 hands on instruction learning Texas BBQ where he babysits you from start to finish. As Matt mentioned, the kid is a wealth of knowledge and can cook a brisket to perfection with his eyes closed.

I thought it was worth it.

Rockinar,

I think this is all your fault! I started emailing Dylan after I saw your post last year, and now I feel like a teenager who can't get a date to the prom!

I work from home so my schedule is crazy flexible and I am available weekdays as well as weekends, so it's not like I just have one day open. Polite as can be on all my email exchanges to his website, and for the life of me still can't get scheduled for a class.

What I like about the Dylan Taylor class is the one-on-one aspect. I've taken other cooking classes where you have shared services with 35 to 50 others including someone who has never cooked a brisket next to someone who has cooked 1,000 briskets, so different needs in the class.

Any suggestions as to how I can get on his schedule would be appreciated (and sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread, I'm just very envious!)

Just now heading back to the hotel. The class was in their restaurant which opens in about 90 days. The wealth of information was truly amazing, incredibly nice people. His partners s all come from the top bbq restaurants in the state including franklin and la bbq. I’m going to bet they have a top five bbq restaurant in texas. The class is all hands on with everything in duplicate with him demonstrating while you video and then you doing it. He also has a student packet for you

Rockinar,

I think this is all your fault! I started emailing Dylan after I saw your post last year, and now I feel like a teenager who can't get a date to the prom!

I work from home so my schedule is crazy flexible and I am available weekdays as well as weekends, so it's not like I just have one day open. Polite as can be on all my email exchanges to his website, and for the life of me still can't get scheduled for a class.

What I like about the Dylan Taylor class is the one-on-one aspect. I've taken other cooking classes where you have shared services with 35 to 50 others including someone who has never cooked a brisket next to someone who has cooked 1,000 briskets, so different needs in the class.

Any suggestions as to how I can get on his schedule would be appreciated (and sorry to the OP for hijacking the thread, I'm just very envious!)

Sorry to hear that. I don't know how its handled now. His girlfriend was doing the scheduling/booking and he was working part time at 2M or Terry Blacks I think when I scheduled. Email replies took a couple days each, but they were all responded to.

Back