A rainy day chuck roast and a cast iron throwdown

SMOKE FREAK

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I started smoking a chuck roast rubbed with Oakridge Black Ops. Hickory chunks for the smoke. Shortly after starting the skies opened up and I got 2.5" of rain in just over an hour. Then it changed to a lighter rain and 3.5" was the day's total. No big deal. I gotta eat so I gotta cook...

While the roast was smoking I chopped up some shallots and shrooms. Added 1.5 cups of no salt beef stock. When the roast was firmly stalled at 155 I put a rack in the cast iron DO to hold the roast above the liquid. So it got steamed rather than braised. Lid was on the DO and lid was on the kettle.

When the roast reached 200 IT I removed it to rest in the house. Also strained out the shroom/shallot mixture.

It's gravy time...:thumb:

The gravy stayed warm in the house with the lid on the DO.

And then I fried up some bacon...
Removed the bacon and threw in some baby lima beans and some beer to t simmer the beans in. Seasoned with Naturific Hot Salt...
Also fried some par cooked potatoes...

And the plate looked like this...

Was a challenging day but in the end we had a feast to fill our bellies.

And as always thanks for lookin at my cookin.

My daughter lives in Lake Charles. They been getting beat up pretty bad lately...

I know they have. We too have many Friends there. Now Tropical Storm #2 has already formed in the gulf. Hurricane season does don't even start until 6/1. Next time we go down I would be glad to do anything I can to help her.

Back