Wanting to buy my 1st Smoker

Slicer021

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am finally looking at buying my 1st dedicated smoker. I have been using my Weber Kettle for both grilling and low and slow. Just wanted to get some info from the community here on what you all feel is a good starter smoker or maybe one that I will use for a long time. I do not have a lot of money to spend but would like something I can use for a while. Thanks all in advance for any info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where is Smitty when you need him...

FIRST decide what type of cooking you want to do. Charcoal? Wood? Something that you have to babysit or something you want to set and forget. Also...what is your budget.

Then you can decide between a UDS or a WSM or a Pit Barrel Cooker.

Or a Old Country Over/Under or an OK Joe Highland.

Or a Pit Boss Pellet grill.

If you go with an Ugly Drum Smoker, get the big poppa smokers kit. I built mine without the kit and put more money than the cost of a kit. I like mine but the kit saves time and money.

I only own a Pit Barrel Cooker, and have no experience with any other smokers. However, the reasons I chose it are:
A. ease of use (set it and forget it)
B. high capacity (can hang 8 slabs of ribs)
C. didn't need a bunch of extra equipment for it
D. price ($299, includes shipping)

I wanted one cooker that would be able to do everything I needed and I've been very pleased so far. My experience is limited though, so someone here with a lot of experience with multiple kinds of cookers would be able to give you a better opinion.

What's the budget? $100, $400?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

stick burner is the most fun for me but if I don't have time thats why I have a drum and pellet cooker

I would agree that if money is a concern, a UDS or PBC is probably a good choice for you.

1) First let us consider size.... Basically a two-fold question because it involves overall size as well as the inside capacity.

Are you looking for a large tow behind smoker or a patio model? With smokers as well as many other choices, size is important, but bigger isn't always better. Larger smokers have more fuel consumption and may require more time tending them. One should never consider a larger smoker just to show off. Practicality should always be the first and foremost thought in this equation.

For backyard use, one typically looks for a smaller patio model. Some competitors also use smaller models in smaller competitions for the ease of portability and mobility. Other competitors have much larger cookers because they also sell to the public which is allowed at some national competitions as a means of selecting the "People Choice" award. At National Competitions like the "Best of the West Nugget Ribs Cook-off" in Reno, Nevada it is common for some of the competitors to cook over 1500 pounds of ribs per day. If you are looking to compete start with something small and you can always move to larger units as you progress.

Wood Burners, Pellet Smokers, Charcoal Smokers, and Propane units all come in patio sized models. But will the patio sized model hold the capacity you are looking to cook. This brings up the issue of Horizontal vs Vertical models. Some horizontal models can be fitted with a second smaller shelf to allow a little more cooking space, where as the vertical model come in varying heights to allow more shelves for more cooking area.

2) Second item to consider in choosing a smoker is the type of fuel you wish to use; Wood, Charcoal, Pellets, Propane Assist, All Electric, or All Gas. The obviously simple set and forget smokers would be Electric, Gas, or Pellet smokers. With electric and propane smokers you only have to be concerned with an ample amount of wood chips / chunks for smoke flavoring. With the pellet smokers, some owners say there isn't enough smoke flavor, but I have had food from a pellet smoker with good flavor. Also on long cooks when using the pellets, one has to refill the pellet hopper to keep the unit going.

If you are considering a wood burner consider your available fuel supply. Are you going to have to buy a lot of wood and are you willing to stay up all night tending a fire? This is not meant to discourage you from a wood burner, but to simply find your level of commitment to your smoker. Many people who use them enjoy the solitude of having a beer and a cigar as they relax in the quiet hours tending the smoker while the others sleep.

If you are considering a charcoal smoker I would suggest an insulated charcoal smoker. An uninsulated smoker burns fuel at a rapid pace because the heat is quickly lost and not held inside the smoker, whereas the insulated smoker burns at a much slower rate only to maintain the temperature within the smoker. I have seen some insulated smokers burn for 16 hours with a single eight pound load of charcoal.

Once you have chosen the type of fuel you wish to use, you have narrowed down your options of choice..

I would agree that if money is a concern, a UDS or PBC is probably a good choice for you.

1) First let us consider size.... Basically a two-fold question because it involves overall size as well as the inside capacity.

Are you looking for a large tow behind smoker or a patio model? With smokers as well as many other choices, size is important, but bigger isn't always better. Larger smokers have more fuel consumption and may require more time tending them. One should never consider a larger smoker just to show off. Practicality should always be the first and foremost thought in this equation.

For backyard use, one typically looks for a smaller patio model. Some competitors also use smaller models in smaller competitions for the ease of portability and mobility. Other competitors have much larger cookers because they also sell to the public which is allowed at some national competitions as a means of selecting the "People Choice" award. At National Competitions like the "Best of the West Nugget Ribs Cook-off" in Reno, Nevada it is common for some of the competitors to cook over 1500 pounds of ribs per day. If you are looking to compete start with something small and you can always move to larger units as you progress.

Wood Burners, Pellet Smokers, Charcoal Smokers, and Propane units all come in patio sized models. But will the patio sized model hold the capacity you are looking to cook. This brings up the issue of Horizontal vs Vertical models. Some horizontal models can be fitted with a second smaller shelf to allow a little more cooking space, where as the vertical model come in varying heights to allow more shelves for more cooking area.

2) Second item to consider in choosing a smoker is the type of fuel you wish to use; Wood, Charcoal, Pellets, Propane Assist, All Electric, or All Gas. The obviously simple set and forget smokers would be Electric, Gas, or Pellet smokers. With electric and propane smokers you only have to be concerned with an ample amount of wood chips / chunks for smoke flavoring. With the pellet smokers, some owners say there isn't enough smoke flavor, but I have had food from a pellet smoker with good flavor. Also on long cooks when using the pellets, one has to refill the pellet hopper to keep the unit going.

If you are considering a wood burner consider your available fuel supply. Are you going to have to buy a lot of wood and are you willing to stay up all night tending a fire? This is not meant to discourage you from a wood burner, but to simply find your level of commitment to your smoker. Many people who use them enjoy the solitude of having a beer and a cigar as they relax in the quiet hours tending the smoker while the others sleep.

If you are considering a charcoal smoker I would suggest an insulated charcoal smoker. An uninsulated smoker burns fuel at a rapid pace because the heat is quickly lost and not held inside the smoker, whereas the insulated smoker burns at a much slower rate only to maintain the temperature within the smoker. I have seen some insulated smokers burn for 16 hours with a single eight pound load of charcoal.

Once you have chosen the type of fuel you wish to use, you have narrowed down your options of choice..

Right now with my kids being so busy I will definitely not being looking to do any comps. Looking a charcoal patio model for now. Cooking for 10 or so people would be nice to be able to do as well. Thanks a lot for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you located? Have you checked your local Craigslist? You might be able to get more bang for your buck this way

300 or 400 is all I can spend

At your price point and number of folks you are cooking for, a Weber Smokey Mountain would be a great choice. Either the 18 or 22 would work. Lots of info on the web on how how to cook with them and some easy and inexpensive mods that can be make. Super easy and user friendly to use with an ATC if you want to go that direction eventually.

300 or 400 is all I can spend

Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 is $399 great Smoker for the price and if taken care of will last forever. You can also look on Craigslist, in my area you never see them for sale maybe different where you live.

Back