Apple. wood or Hickory

wperry1971

Reaction score
I'm smoking a pork shoulder tomorrow and trying to decide on which wood to use. Suggestions please.

I love both hickory and apple. Hickory will give you stronger smoke flavor. You can't go wrong either way - maybe just use whatever you have more of.

Just bought two new bags. Hickory chunks and apple wood chips.

What are you cooking on? Normally chunks would be the way to go (actually I'm more of a stickburner myself but I've been using a UDS the past couple months too & use charcoal/chunks for that) - I normally use chips if I'm smoking sausages & need heavy smoke (this is for homemade, btw).

OK Mr. Perry, where are you in the fine State of Wisconsin?

Oh, and I use a combination of hickory and apple chunks on butts in my WSMs.

Nowadays for long smokes I go with no more than 50% fruitwood. Hickory, oak, and pecan chunks smoke for much longer because they're much more dense.

Cherry and Hickory at a ratio of 2:1 for me, on all meats now. i used to mix it up a lot for different meats, but i just like what ive been producing with this combo.

I like to use a blend of 1/3 hickory to 2/3 fruit wood. My favorite on pork butt is hickory and cherry. I have used hickory and apple with good results as well.

I use about 50-50 hickory and apple. You can't hardly go wrong with those two on a butt.

If it didn't matter it wouldn't matter!!!

I'd use hickory the first time. If it's too much smoke try the apple next time.

If you live in one of the 13 it should be hickory. :becky:

Back