Second Cook on the Big Phil’s Blue Smoke Smoker: Chicken!

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I did the second cook on the Big Phil’s 24x48 Blue Smoke Smoker last night.

Nothing major, just a spatchcocked chicken.

This was an important cook/test though, as some may remember that cooking skin on whole chicken was what alerted me to the fact that something was not quite right with the way my “other” pit was running. I was getting ugly discolored chicken skin that looked a very unappetizing gray color. I finally got to a point where I could get a decent looking bird on that pit, but it’s still not 100% right, and that is ultimately what made me finally decide I wanted something new, a traditional flow pit, leading to me ending up with this one.

This cook taught me several things:
1. It is definitely NOT user error of any kind causing the problem on the other pit, it’s a legitimate design/air flow issue. Period. End of story.
2. This traditional flow Blue Smoke Smoker runs like a freakin champ. It’s very easy to run clean with little fuss at all.
3. This was only the second cook and it was a short one, but this time I figured out how to dial in my temps and it’s ridiculously easy. It’s all in the door, which is EXTREMELY sensitive. Start with a raging fire to get a nice big coal bed, then let the temp come down to where you want it and add one 16” split about 3” diameter every 30 minutes and keep the door cracked no more than ¼” - ½”. Do that and it will purr along between 265-285 with ease.
4. How far the door is cracked open also has a major impact on how even temps run across the grate. Running as mentioned above, temps were holding within 10 degrees from the far end on the smoke stack side, to right before the hot spot on the firebox side. That’s more even than my reverse flow! But if I want to run hotter, I can crack the door open farther and the temps will go up, but the end to end difference will also increase. I bumped temps to 325-350 at the end of the cook this way, and the side to side difference was still only 20 degrees.
5. That Mill Scale/Franklin style baffle really works to shift the hot spot back towards the firebox and gives you more usable cooking space.

All that said, this bird came out really good. As for prep, I spatchcocked it, then put a light coating of oil on the skin as a binder, and applied course black pepper, kosher salt, and a light dusting of my chicken rub. Got the pit to 275 and threw it on. At 140 IT I bumped the pit temp up to between 325 and 350 and sprayed the bird with some butter flavored PAM, then sprayed it again at 155, and pulled it at 165.

It was super juicy, the skin had the perfect golden-brown color, and was nice and crispy. Overall I was extremely happy with how it turned out, but more so, I was extremely happy to have this pit pretty much figured out and dialed in by the start of only the second cook.

And now for the pics!

That's cool KJ! The chicken looks great. A properly designed pit sure does help. I had a similar experience with my offset cabinet, just couldn't believe how easy the cook went with a quality smoker. Looking forward to more of your cooks.

That chicken looks spot on - the 3/8th thick firebox and cook chamber sure keeps a great coal bed and allows for heat retention

Got it nailed already Kevin!

I remember I gave a little advice after your first cook;

"Watch your meat grate temp probe set up close to the brisket and adjust your intake and splits accordingly."

Probably didn't need to tell you that. Chicken looks awesome.

Great cooker and chicken!

Congrats on your pit!

I did the second cook on the Big Phil’s 24x48
This cook taught me several things:
1. It is definitely NOT user error of any kind causing the problem on the other pit, it’s a legitimate design/air flow issue. Period. End of story.
2. This traditional flow Blue Smoke Smoker runs like a freakin champ. It’s very easy to run clean with little fuss at all.

Congrats on a great cook, and that finished product looks real juicy!

Agreed about air flow issues and running clean. On my old COS, I would get a buildup of thick, flaky black stuff (creosote?) on the inside of the door and would have to be careful to close the door softly to avoid having the black stuff fall off the door and onto my food. With my Big Phil smoker, I get none of that whatsoever.

I did the second cook on the Big Phil’s 24x48
5. That Mill Scale/Franklin style baffle really works to shift the hot spot back towards the firebox and gives you more usable cooking space.

Could you explain a bit more about how this works? Does the baffle sit on the cooking grate right up against the wall of the firebox, and if so, what is the mechanism that shifts the hot spot toward the firebox (that would seem to shift it away from the firebox, but I'm probably missing something)?

Yes - it just sits on the grate between the cook chamber and firebox - and can be taken in and out when needed

First picture shows the grate without using the baffle (put the baffle in after I had burned a fire)

Second picture was taken after burning a fire using the baffle - you can tell by the hot spot on the grate the baffle helped to concentrate the hot spot under the baffle

Congrats on a great cook, and that finished product looks real juicy!

Agreed about air flow issues and running clean. On my old COS, I would get a buildup of thick, flaky black stuff (creosote?) on the inside of the door and would have to be careful to close the door softly to avoid having the black stuff fall off the door and onto my food. With my Big Phil smoker, I get none of that whatsoever.

Could you explain a bit more about how this works? Does the baffle sit on the cooking grate right up against the wall of the firebox, and if so, what is the mechanism that shifts the hot spot toward the firebox (that would seem to shift it away from the firebox, but I'm probably missing something)?

Thanks, Connor. In regards to the baffle, I agree it's counter-intuitive as you would think it would push the hot spot out more, but it doesn't. I honestly have no idea why or how it works out that way, I just know that it sure does seem to.

The first cook I did without it for many hours, and all I can say is there was a good portion of the grate on the firebox side that was way too hot. Then I put the baffle in, and once things stabilized, the hot spot had definitely seemed to move back a ways.

The second cook I kept the baffle in the whole time and the hot spot seemed to end a few inches out from the end of the baffle.

I think Ted's pictures explain it better than I can.

@ Ted and KJ: The photos tell the story - I can definitely see that the baffle works...still trying to wrap my mind around how though!

Gotta say, those two pictures do a better job at explaining why that deflector is so useful than I would ever be able to

Does the baffle have to be raised like that or will any 1/4 steel work the same way?

Does the baffle have to be raised like that or will any 1/4 steel work the same way?

I have seen some folks just have a flat plate at grate level - I think the Backline Smoker that Dawgfather BBQ uses in some of his videos has this setup - but not sure if it would operate the same way

If anyone is interested - l just had a 1/4 inch piece of plate - that was 6 inches wide - formed into a channel. The plate was 25 inches long - and the fabricator bent the two far ends to create 2 inch legs. So my channel has 2 inch legs, is 21 inches long and is 6 inches wide

Last edited:
The new backyard pit by Bison Smoker also has this elevated baffle -

But he is also doing some type of adjustable baffle below the intake in the cook chamber

Here is a video where he discusses same - can’t really tell what they are going to do - but sounds like something to help deflect the smoke upwards

https://youtu.be/Wi5rvJUQ2Vo

Starting at the 5 min mark

Back