8” Mercer Chef Knife and My Knife Roll

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
The last time we rented an Airbnb I vowed to buy a knife roll and bring some of my knives with me so I could have the use of sharp knives instead on the dull POS knives they always seem to have. (It’s not that they need to be expensive, but if they were at least sharp I wouldn’t complain)

Well we just got back from spending a week in Reno at an Airbnb and you can guess how the knives were. So, I’ve made good on my vow and got myself a cheap knife roll. I also purchased this Mercer Millenia 8” chef knife to go in it.

As I said they don’t need to supply expensive knives and this new Mercer knife is proof of this. (It cost me whooping $18.00) So here are a few pics and a video of the new knife roll and the different knives I’ll be taking with me when we go on our next trip like this.

(An assortment of mostly Mercer and Victorinox knives)

Video:
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMWxPKcBUMY&t=30s[/URL]

Thanks for looking.

love my mercer knifes they keep an edge for a long time and razor sharp!

Sold one to a friend of mine and warned him of the sharpness... 2 hrs later I get a text of his sliced open finger!

Knife rolls are a good investment. One of my cookin' buddies graduated from the CIA in 1973, and still has his original knife roll. Each year he gives it to me to touch up the edges.

fCNYoxW.jpg

Looks like you’re good to go. I spied that same Mercer at SMKW in Sevierville just last week and it is nice.
Thank you Gary. It's a very nice knife for $18.00.
love my mercer knifes they keep an edge for a long time and razor sharp!

Sold one to a friend of mine and warned him of the sharpness... 2 hrs later I get a text of his sliced open finger!
Thank you zippy. Three of the knives in the roll are Mercer's. The 8" Chef' knife, the 6.5" Nakiri and the 8" Chinese vegetable cleaver. I really like all 3 of them.

Knife rolls are a good investment. One of my cookin' buddies graduated from the CIA in 1973, and still has his original knife roll. Each year he gives it to me to touch up the edges.

fCNYoxW.jpg

You are a man after my own heart. I’ve gotten into Sharpening knifes during this whole pandemic... if your in middle Tennessee I’d be happy to hook you up (sharpen your blades)

I am a world class knife duller. If there was a competition in dulling knives I would be a grand champion. I am willing to bet I can take a Samurai sword that was years in the making and dull it in less than 30 seconds.

Is there any knife sharpening instrument for the complete idiot? We are talking about someone (me) that even a knife finishing steel is beyond my expertise.

I am a world class knife duller. If there was a competition in dulling knives I would be a grand champion. I am willing to bet I can take a Samurai sword that was years in the making and dull it in less than 30 seconds.

Is there any knife sharpening instrument for the complete idiot? We are talking about someone (me) that even a knife finishing steel is beyond my expertise.

I was 100% in the same boat, so I finally decided to pick up a Ken Onion Worksharp after hearing such good things about it. About 2 years later and my knives are razor sharp all the time.

Here's the link :
Ken Onion Worksharp on Amazon

I will sharpen my knives about twice a year with the Worksharp, but I use one of these tools (link below) to keep the edge aligned...essentially it's a honing steel but it takes the guess work out in terms of angle.

Brod and Taylor Tungsten Carbide Sharpener / Honer

Overall about a $200 investment, but for me these things keep my knives sharp and it removes all the guesswork. I use Mercer, Victorinox, and Dexter knives, and I run a BBQ food truck so I spend many hours a week trimming meats. Sharp knives reduce the work load significantly and it's also much safer to work with sharp knives.

Note : The KenOnion Worksharp has a "honing" belt, so you really could just use that for honing if you only want to buy a single piece of equipment. I don't have a spot to keep the Worksharp readily available, so it's just easier for me to use the Brod and Taylor for honing.

Thank you Gary. It's a very nice knife for $18.00.

Thank you zippy. Three of the knives in the roll are Mercer's. The 8" Chef' knife, the 6.5" Nakiri and the 8" Chinese vegetable cleaver. I really like all 3 of them.

I have the flexible boning knife! love it!

I do the same thing for hotels with traveling. I like to stay in Homewoods so I have a mini apartment, and their kitchens always disappoint. I'll look into that knife. I have a super simple 6" ceramic chef's knife that I travel with. It's not much, but combined with a flexible cutting board-it's 100x better than what is in the rooms.

Thanks 3rdeye. Those are some nice vintage knives.
I bought a Mercer curved boning knife especially for trimming brisket. I love it but, it's not for just brisket now
Thanks Joe. That looks like a nice one to have. Now if I can just conceive the wife! :twitch:

Last edited:
I think the white handle Mercer is like 12 bucks, I keep meaning to order one

You are a man after my own heart. I’ve gotten into Sharpening knifes during this whole pandemic... if your in middle Tennessee I’d be happy to hook you up (sharpen your blades)

Hey, I am in the middle of the state..... the state of Wyoming that is. :mrgreen:

I've been sharpening knives for people for years and it gets habit forming, but like smoking someone a thanksgiving turkey or X-mas rib roast you will get last minute requests, so keep an eye on that. I have some of these interchangeable knife blade rolls from the late '70's, and used to loan them when someone dropped off their knives so there was no pressure on me to get their knives back to them. Then I bought some commercial grade knives at Sam's (a slicer and boning style) sharpened them to scary level... and loan those instead.

XhvhsQF.jpg

Hey, I am in the middle of the state..... the state of Wyoming that is. :mrgreen:

I've been sharpening knives for people for years and it gets habit forming, but like smoking someone a thanksgiving turkey or X-mas rib roast you will get last minute requests, so keep an eye on that. I have some of these interchangeable knife blade rolls from the late '70's, and used to loan them when someone dropped off their knives so there was no pressure on me to get their knives back to them. Then I bought some commercial grade knives at Sam's (a slicer and boning style) sharpened them to scary level... and loan those instead.

XhvhsQF.jpg
:thumb: Wow! :thumb:

I would love to have one of those Kershaw Blade-Trader kits. I wouldn't want to be lending that out either.

Last edited:
Nice knife roll! Thanks for sharing!

I’ve had the same experience when staying anywhere on vacation. Decided to create a vacation chuck box to make sure we were always prepared. Step one was getting knives that at least had the opportunity to become sharp. Seems that every knife in places we’ve stayed has been through the dishwasher so many times, there is no way to readily address the edge.

Found a couple inexpensive knives from Webrestraunt.com, added a hand held sharpener to make sure they would be able to get reasonably sharp. Also packed along an older knife that wasn’t getting much use at home. Next, cutting board. Why do rental places only seem to provide teeny boards??!!? Some places I’ve stayed haven’t had one item or another, so I pack along things like a grater, turner, can opener, pasta grabber, etc. Added an inexpensive non stick pan to box. Then, seasonings. I tossed in a perforated pizza pan that was just laying around because it fit in the box and you never know when you might need one. Finally, I include a toaster oven. After sending smoke signals up attempting to use the broilers at many rental places, I pack along a portable toaster oven that also makes really good toast, which is important for my family. YMMV, but this is what is working for us.

Bruce

Pics of vacation chuck box, while on vacation :mrgreen:

Forgot that I had a cheap metal turner and sparker for using the grill included in the box.

Bruce

Thanks 3rdeye. Those are some nice vintage knives.

Thanks Joe. That looks like a nice one to have. Now if I can just conceive the wife! :twitch:

I actually have the same thing in blue handle but not curved...opps which is now the wife's favorite knife. I got the green to match my snap on tools :-D

Back