Coffee Roasting with Swamprb

Way cool. I love coffee. Are there tricks to getting different flavors like hazelnut or vanilla?

Wow....if I was into coffee, very cool, but I gotta do half and half decafe as it is..but very nice video, thank you for your efforts. He's a true artisian.

Nice video! Fresh roasted coffee must taste fantastic!! Are un roasted beans any cheaper than beans that have allready been roasted?

Way cool. I love coffee. Are there tricks to getting different flavors like hazelnut or vanilla?

If you must, you can buy the flavoring on line. Put it on the beans when they are still hot so it will be absorbed into the bean.

If you must, you can buy the flavoring on line. Put it on the beans when they are still hot so it will be absorbed into the bean.

Ah, so that's how they do it. I'm one of those who likes the nut flavored coffee (ducking so Ron-o doesn't hit me).

Great set up Swamprb, and I even learned how to say your name. :icon_cool

I'm jealous!! Gawd that's got to smell incredible!!

Does the coffee take on any flavors from the grill or is it just a convienient gas roaster?

One thing's for sure, Brian's coffee is the best tasting coffee I've ever had! :-D

Attachments

• DSC_0016 (Large).jpg
    DSC_0016 (Large).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
BTW, Nice video! I love Liquid Amber. I should order some but my stash is still pretty big :rolleyes:

Your rotis motor is smaller than mine. I think i got one of the first kits that Ron put together and the motor is about twice as big.

Here is the link to the RK drum web site.

http://www.rkdrums.com/index.htm

Ron passed away but one of his friends is still making the drums and kits.

Now how cool is that :!: That is one great video.... love my coffee......

Nice video! Fresh roasted coffee must taste fantastic!! Are un roasted beans any cheaper than beans that have allready been roasted?

Yes, but you typcially have to buy in larger quantities. The key is you can tend to get better and fresher beans than you could otherwise... though super fresh and high quality roasted beans are becoming increasinglyy common -- just most people don't know what superb coffee tastes like.

I guess it's not much different than barbecue. :)

Yes, but you typcially have to buy in larger quantities. The key is you can tend to get better and fresher beans than you could otherwise... though super fresh and high quality roasted beans are becoming increasinglyy common -- just most people don't know what superb coffee tastes like.

I guess it's not much different than barbecue. :)

Absolutely true. I lived in Canada for a couple years and when I came back here I traveled 40 miles to purchase some bulk coffee from a particular Canadian franchise that had good coffee. I could not see what I wanted and asked the manager. She laughed and explained to me that the same coffee is not available in the US. Essentially, the coffee companies need a dumping ground for all their bad beans and agreed the US is that big market. Basically all roasted commercial coffee in the US that you get is inferior to anything you can get elsewhere. I started roasting my own after that. I started by roasting on a grill, but that used a lot of propane. For several years I used a hot air popcorn popper. It does a very nice job, the best in my opinion. The beans are not roasted as evenly, giving them, in my opinion, a really unique flavor. When the popper burned out (and after repairing it a couple times), I went with a home roaster. These run in the $100-$200 range. I got one with a catalytic converter, so I can do this indoors without smoking up the house. It's much more enjoyable than roasting coffee at 10* in the winter outside, one of the best investments I've made! I do prefer the hot air result more, but for the convenience the home roaster is what I do now.

As far as the beans go. They are cheaper bought green. They also last much longer. No need for any special storage. They last for many months with no refrigeration. There is a huge range of flavors in bean types and roasting that can be achieved. Once they're roasted, that's when you notice the drop-off in quality with storage or time.

Now I am insanely jealous of both Ronelle and SwamprB

Back