Ribs On A Santa Maria Grill

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I picked up a Santa Maria grill recently and was thinking of breaking it in with some ribs. I have never grilled ribs before. Does anybody have any tips?

Thanks,

Matt

you should get some good stuff with enough time. might use a dome lid from a kettle or a flipped cake pan over the top. it'll be inefficient, but so is everything else we do cooking this way. :beer:

you should get some good stuff with enough time. might use a dome lid from a kettle or a flipped cake pan over the top. it'll be inefficient, but so is everything else we do cooking this way. [emoji481]
Thanks, I was contemplating using a Weber kettle lid. Seems like it would help things along.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have done it, can't remember my exact thoughts, but have never did it again. As mentioned above not fuel efficient but fun.

Ya lets see some pics.

Here are a couple quick picks. Haven't had a chance to clean it up yet. The grill is 24x36. There is a second side shelf with cutting board, I took it off for easier storage.
1cab102d79a10f58993b651379a14e16.jpg
284a3e83d5b92948b9e7583c15bc3425.jpg

I have done them on my SM grill a few times. As others mentioned a kettle lid will help speed up cooking time and capture a bit more smoke. Beware, It will use a lot of fuel but worth it. Fun and tasty but not as tender as a smoked rack.

There's a market near us in Woodland Hills(Jim's Fallbrook) that fires up a big oak fueled Santa Maria pit on weekends. They cook Tri-Tip of course, plus chicken halves and BB ribs. I've not had their food, as I go there to buy meat from their butcher, but many folks say the ribs are very good.

I asked the pitmaster a while back how long they cook the ribs, and it's usually about 2-2.5 hours at a moderate distance from the coals. I've seen them up close, and they do indeed look very tasty.

IMG_2208_zpsstbndx6y.jpg

^^^^
Jim's is still there that's great. I used to by illegal under age beer there back in the early 80's

Love a Santa Maria grill!

I do my Grandpa's Ribs on a gasser. But be that as it may, it's the technique that works.
I start bones down. Just to get things heated up.
I use my smarter-than-me phone for a timer and turn over my half rack slabs every 10 minutes.

When I get a good sear coming along, I start to paint. Thin layers, the idea here is to bake the layers of sauce onto the cooking ribs.
As it goes along, the sauce begins to darken/blacken up and makes a nice shell on my ribs. (Sauce explained below)

I cook low and slow. My hood thermometer gave up. But it use to run 250-350° F, depending on the done-ness of the ribs. (Mo done= higher readings)
Always use tongs for your que if you can, and get some long stout ones. That's a tool, saves your hands.
Sometimes you can find sets (I did), Long for the Barby, shorter ones for the serving tray or pan.
Tongs don't poke holes in the meat, and let the juices out like forks do.
You will have to learn your new grill for the height adjustment to keep things cooking slow and even.
You can do naked ribs, or SPOG ribs, or ribbed ribs, or our flavorite cooked on sauced ribs.

Sauce:
I take a virgin bottle of Sweet Baby Rays (original) BBQ Sauce and dump it in a sealable glass container. Them plastic snap on jobberdo's.
To it I add (Dry ingredients) Granulated Garlic, Onion Powder, Black Pepper, Montreal Steak Seasoning. 1-2ish TBS each.
1/4 cup of honey.

Optional: 1/4 to 1 tsp Cayenne Pepper for heat. I like 1/2 tsp. My wife likes none. :mmph:

Anyway, our crowd loves my ribs. Done in 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Just ordered an az BBQ outfitters boothill about a week ago. Have to wait 12 weeks, but looking forward to it. It's got a crank like a Santa Maria but with Argentine grates. You can show pics of your cooks while I wait a painfully long time to use mine.

Just ordered an az BBQ outfitters boothill about a week ago. Have to wait 12 weeks, but looking forward to it. It's got a crank like a Santa Maria but with Argentine grates. You can show pics of your cooks while I wait a painfully long time to use mine.
That Boothill looks awesome. I stumbled onto this grill. I was exchanging emails about a 24x60 KAT RF (which I also bought) and he happens to have the grill for sale as well so I jumped on it.

I know I'm going to start a war here however some of the best grilled ribs I ever ate were first BOILED in chicken stock that had an abundance of onions, garlic and spices. Once the meat pulled back from the bones about 1/2" to 3/4" the ribs were pulled, dried off and put on the grill for color then sauced and caramelized on each side. On a side note other than the spices in the stock and the sauce no other rub was applied. The ribs were moist and tender with perfect bite.

A Az BBQ Outfitters Scottsdale is on my bucket list... Congrats on your Boothill. David and crew at Az BBQ are top notch folks.

I have a Santa Maria grill and have cooked ribs a few times. Make sure to use smaller ribs like baby backs or 3.5 down st louis ribs. Cook high, turn often and use a rub with little to no sugar. I like to use a santa maria rub like suzie q and turn often. Ribs will have some pull but will be tasty.

They will turn out great tasting but I have found some ribs will never be tender every time , I haven't been able to eyeball them in order to tell what makes 1 rack tender and the next tough lol, may have to foil a couple towards the end and see what results I get,

Back