Turkey breast brine and rub opinions needed

rrowe563

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Going to smoke a whole turkey breast this weekend. Any fairly simple brine and rub that anyone would recommend? I’ve never cooked on and any help will be greatly appreciated

Make sure your turkey breast is not "Enhanced", this means it has been injected with a salt solution that may also contain phosphates. Basicly the turkey breast is already brined, but it lacks flavor additives. You can still brine for flavor, but you'll need to reduce the amount of salt in your brine.

Patio Daddio's - The Ultimate Thanksgiving Turkey Brine posted by John Dawson
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1087814&postcount=1

1 1/2 gal Ice water (lots of ice)
1/2 gal Hot tap water
2 cups Dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups Kosher salt
1/4 cup Old Bay seasoning (available in most grocery stores)
1 tsp Chinese five spice (Asian section of most grocery stores -- I like the Sun Luck brand)
Juice of 2 lemons
Juice of 2 oranges
Extra ice as needed

Get a clean food-safe five-gallon bucket, wash it, then sanitized it with a gallon of water and a capful of bleach. Rinse bucket well.

Make the ice water in the bucket.

Bring the tap water to a boil in a stock pot or large pan. Remove the pan from the heat and add the salt, sugar, citrus juice and all of the seasonings. Let the seasoning mixture sit in the pan, stirring occasionally, until all of the salt and sugar are dissolved.

Add the water and seasoning mixture to the ice water in the bucket.

Gently submerge the turkey in the brine, breast-side-down. Oh, and make sure you've removed both pouches of innards.

Note: It must be completely submerged, if the turkey tends to float, you can seal a rock in a zip-top bag and stuff it in the cavity.

Set the bucket in the coldest place you can find (I put mine outside or in the garage), cover with foil, wrap with a sleeping bag or blankets, and let sit at least 12 and up to 24 hours.

*Caution: It's critical that the brine be kept at or under 40°; throughout the entire brining process, so check the ice and add more as needed.

An hour before you're ready to cook the turkey, lift it gently and slowly from the brine, allowing it to drain completely. I turn it over just to make sure.

Pat the turkey dry with paper towels, and rub the skin with canola oil, then roast in the oven or smoke as desired.

========================================================================

Patio Daddio's Big Bird Bath posted by John Dawson
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1450012&postcount=1

Here is a simple brine recipe that works very well with turkey or chicken.. It's fairly simple, but this gets the job done in short order.

1 1/2 gal Ice water (about 2/3 ice to 1/3 water)
1/2 gal Water
1 1/2 cups Kosher salt
2 cups Golden brown sugar
1/3 cup Old Bay seasoning
1 Tbsp Black peppercorns (whole)

Sanitize a food-safe 5-gallon bucket with water and bleach, then rinse very well.

Make the ice water in the bucket and set aside.

Bring the 1/2 gallon of water to a rolling boil in a large stock pot. Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir well.

Remove the brine from the heat let it sit in the pan, stirring occasionally, until all of the salt and sugar are dissolved. Let seasoning mixture stand until room temperature.

Add the seasoning mixture to the ice water in the bucket and mix well. The brine must be kept very cold.

Gently submerge the turkey in the brine, breast-side-down. Oh, and make sure you've removed both pouches of innards.

Note: It must be completely submerged, if the turkey tends to float, you can seal a rock in a zip-top bag and stuff it in the cavity.

Set the bucket in the coldest place you can find (I put mine outside or in the garage), cover with foil, wrap with a sleeping bag or blankets, and let sit at least 12 and up to 24 hours.

*Caution: It's critical that the brine be kept at or under 40°; throughout the entire brining process, so check the ice and add more as needed.

An hour before you're ready to cook the turkey, lift it gently and slowly from the brine, allowing it to drain completely. I turn it over just to make sure.

Pat the turkey dry with paper towels, and rub the skin with canola oil, then roast in the oven or smoke as desired.

Cranberry-Apple Smoked Turkey Breast Brine
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1426145&postcount=9

1 gallon cranberry-apple juice cocktail (cold)
1/2 cup canning salt
1/2 cup granulated turbinado
1/2 cup of Pure Maple Syrup
1 teaspoon white pepper

Heat a small amount of Cran-Apple Juice in a pot on the stove, slowly add the rest of the ingredients until fully dissolved. Add to the rest of the cold Cran-Apple juice in a large bucket. Use a meat injector to liberally inject brine into turkey breasts. Place in brine and let set for 12-18 hours. When ready rinse with cold water, pat dry, and rub with thyme and rosemary. Smoke with Apple wood. 30 min per lb at 300 deg or 15 per lb at 325 deg

I have done Patio Daddios before and it is excellent. I did it with a whole Turkey. You dont have time to get Harvest Brine which is a dry brine. I use a brine by thirdeye. I use the lite brine and I cut the kosher salt in 1/2 and add some honey and old bay seasoning for chicken thighs. We love it. Check out his blog

We love Patio Daddio's Thanksgiving Brine here!

After that, we just hit the bird with additional butter and salt/pepper on (and under) the skin.

The flavors in the brine really shine through nicely.

I did 2 turkey breasts not that long, back to back weekends. I wet brined one and the other was dry brined and injected. If I was to do a third one I would skip the brine and inject with a creole butter or Game Changer injection. I also learned I prefer savory vs sweet BBQ rubs on them.

Back