Have you or will you ever build a UDS?

• Total voters

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score

Got 2 pork steaks going on a mini uds right now. Simple intakes- no electronics- very stable on temps (do have to kick it/shake it every 4 hours or so)- frugal on fuel- turns out a good product.

Made a few- 55 gallon, 30 gallon, 16 gallon, mini wsm.

You're list didn't include my answer:
"I've never had one. Have thought about building/buying one for tailgating, but have been too lazy to get around to it, due in large part to the fact that I thought college FB was a bust this year. So maybe next year."

I can't believe that you failed to include such a simple and obvious option. Back to poll school for you. :)

You're list didn't include my answer:
"I've never had one. Have thought about building/buying one for tailgating, but have been too lazy to get around to it, due in large part to the fact that I thought college FB was a bust this year. So maybe next year."

I can't believe that you failed to include such a simple and obvious option. Back to poll school for you. :)

The Lazy part sums up most of my Answer,
I have the parts but lack the Mo.

Thanks guys for keeping my signature line relevant:

"Poll nitpickers are never happy unless they have a nit to pick with a poll."

And my research does not involve determining the work ethic of the brethren or if you sold your UDS to your bus driver's best friend's first cousin once removed on his father's side.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for keeping my signature line relevant:

"Poll nitpickers are never happy unless they have a nit to pick with a poll."

And my research does not involve determining the work ethic of the brethren or if you sold your UDS to your bus driver's best friend's first cousin once removed on his father's side.

Sounds like someone married their cousin

Never built one but was gifted one, sold it. Got me a PBC now :-D

Bob hasn't been erecting many polls lately, and is a bit rusty. He forgot the obvious options like:

- Wanted to build one but can't find a drum that doesn't have a liner that needs to be burned out
- Want to build one but don't have any tools
- Haven't built one because I still haven't got through the mega-UDS thread
- Why build one when you can buy one?
- What is a UDS?

...........and all the other obvious options that he missed.

Just rusty I guess. :tsk:

Not even touching the 'married a cousin' thing.........although that could be option somehow I'm sure.......

I heard that happens to some guys...get out of practice erecting polls, get rusty, have trouble with the polls finishing before they are done...shame...

I built one a few years back.

I went low budget and used whatever I found laying around. I spent less than $250 on her. I didn't even paint her. She is truly an UGLY drum smoker.

I decided I needed another one to add to my collection of cookers.

A while back I scored a few smooth sided drums from a friend of mine (Gringoloco). I decided to make the next one a lot less ugly. I bought some parts from Smokerbuilder.com, and took my time burning, sanding,and priming and painting with high temp engine paint from the auto parts store. I am very pleased with the results.

Not only is this thing great looking, it also works quite well. It will purr right along between 245 and 255 for hours on end without any adjustments. My longest cook so far was 18 hours on a stubborn brisket. I still had coals left over.

I have 2 more drums. I plan to make a couple more eventually.

Attachments

• Tex.jpg
    Tex.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 82
I voted "built more than one" but I bought my two BDSs a decade ago from Rocky after reading a Danny Gaulden review, and getting a thumbs up from "T" over at Utah Smoke Competition BBQ Team. I have assisted people build at least 20 both online and hands-on. If you don't own one...., build one or buy one (don't steal one :twitch:) Drums are easy and fun to cook on, and the flavor is similar to open pit Bar-B-Que. Danny called the aroma of the smoke "the Grandpa smell", and that made me pull the trigger.

Back