Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
There is NOTHING unique I am doing here. Just a bit of experimentation as after Harvy, the divorce and stuff I took a break to lose 100 lbs. Now that I have – I can experiment. Any of you who know me, know my impact on what we call the dawn of the “internet” bbq master.

243123229_10226951691927181_3463121430726577277_n.jpg
This is an important perhaps the MOST important era in BBQ history because due to the internet and social media, you tube and an expansion in bbq camaraderie, the art was spread outside its typical regional boundaries. And I say “nothing new” because I am nearly 60 years old and have stolen from everyone from my time at Kreuz in the 1980s (Hot and Fast briskets and the value of resting) to techniques picked up from Mike Mills (my damn Butt Glitter is just an inspired but modified Mills “Dust”), Bill and Barb Milroy (rib knowledge) to Billy “Bones” Wall (the whole pig honey, weeping, shut down the pit for the ride down, unwrapped thing). I am pleased to see I carried the torch a bit as so many of you are using these techniques. Hell – the lard covered meats is an age old process - and just because I never heard of it doesn’t mean some schmo isn’t doing that VERY thing right now without anyone knowing. I typically don’t use foil but I am going to use it here. Many of you will see me use foil for the first time - which of course has been linked to Alzheimers but I really don’t think that has any merit. The ONLY two things I have never seen anyone do is a modified Lily chicken burn where instead of immersing the half cooked chicken in olive oil before you place it back on the grill for a ride on the other side, you immerse it in popcorn oil – which is coconut oil with butter flavoring added; the other thing is the sour dough brisket process which a few of you know but I hope no one mentions in this forum unless its private.

So – I am just documenting a flitting around - if you see something new - try it. Just don’t try too many things at one time. Or do what I do – try it precisely like you see then figure out how you want to take it your own way.

I promised myself no BBQ until I met my fitness goal. I have so here I go. One piece of equipment was a Louisana Grills Vertical 7 (which I like because it breaks down a lot and I love to tinker). This was given to me by the manufacturer. The other was a protype of the gravity fed Old Country Pit from Academy. The OCP results are removed from the original experiment because it belongs in a different thread. So we will be comparing the process of three sets of ribs (ribs 1, 2 and three, two techniques, sort of Myron Mixon (sans his hickory rubs and salts) --- which by the way He uses foil which reminds me - Many of you will see me use foil for the first time - which of course has been linked to Alzheimers but I really don’t think that has any merit. Where was I? Oh... and I used a Mad Scientist (sans the smoked lard) – Killen's rib [Savory Salt and Pepper and Lawrys only}, and a fusion Harry Wong and Trigg inspired set of ribs with one “harry Wong” set being “tented” like Mixon instead of flat wrapped. Many of you will see me use foil for the first time - which of course has been linked to Alzheimer's but I really don’t think that has any merit. Oh - I have always been a no sinew removal guy - especially after Neil Strawder (Big Mista) Made me and Jimmy Pucchetii remove like 200 racks or more of skin. But One set I am scoring like Mad Scientist to see if I like it - which I did so much, I forgot it was on there until the next day just before I went to sleep.

Prep Samples 1 and 2. Disregard One (top) - Note notches for ID (Meat side)
1.jpg

Samples 3 and 4. (Meat Side)
2.jpg

1. Membrane on. 2. Off (Bone Side)

3.jpg

3. Mad scientist sinew cross hatch. 4 sinew removed (Bone Side)
4.jpg

1... Harry soo Apr. 2 Harry Soo All Purpose Rub (Bone Side)
5.jpg

1...Harry soo chick, 2 Harry Soo Chix Rub (Meat Side) - I never noticed the two-tone style rub appliques before and Mixon and Soo both use two different rubs ON TWO DIFFERENT SIDES. I wanted to try.

6.jpg

3. My modified Killen’s Dalmatian with an extra bit of seasoning salt cuz I thought it too mild last time, and I already know what the Lockhart addition of cayenne is like. Today I found out that, low and behold, the Mad Scientist does the same damn thing – perhaps because of my tri-level technique I started pushing 20 years ago) or he arrived at it the same way I did. 4.. Harry Soo Style Chicken Applique On the Meat Side and APS on the bone side (not shown).
7.jpg
3. Dalmatian with S.S. (Both Sides)

Ribs 2 through 4 are done in pellet smoker... 1 is in gravity because I do not know what will happen.
All are smoked between 230 - 270.
While Smoking - Make a sauce in a blender combine jar of peach preserves (Mixon Idea), cherry juice and cherries (Mine), 1 ½ C of a vinegar based sauce, 1 C Hickory or Mesquite based sauce, 1 C Ketchup, 1 C Karo - heat to a very low simmer - color changes! There is a reason for that karo let me tell ya! Okay - **** - I will admit - not seen here but worthy of mention is the addition of a packet of walmart or crystal light 2 quart flavors drink mix. Oh MY GOD it was awesome - but I threw that on the next day when I made the staff chose which glaze they liked better - harry soo AND my cherry glaze/BBQ sauce or without. Write me if you want to know the results of 24 people - and why maybe or maybe you should not use it depending on the sanction and region.

15.jpg
Number 2 (Soo) back, Number 3 –(Killens Mad Sci. fusion) Front - before spritz. Harry Soo sample 4 is on bottom (Unseen). I am placing this note on here because there is dripping so I will note the impact that has.

16.jpg

2 and 3 samples Spritz and oleo treatment

17.jpg

Spritz oleo treatment. Soo Sample (four)

18.jpg

Wrap Prep

NOTE - With the exception of number 2 all were flat sealed. Number 2 was tented... Note from Old Country Pits Smoker running at the same time - it seemed oddly as if the ocp one was ahead of time although temp was lower??
Samples 2 and four only shown – both Harry Soo Appliques

010.jpg

040.jpg
Black blood is cleared off bones and elsewhere. Then bone tips are prepressed to help bone
pull as they cook...

060.jpg
So this picture here is telling. A presentation I picked up (I think from Bill and Barbara Milroy) in the 1990s. To get all those bones to protrude equal amounts.. esp. bones 3 through 8 on a 10... before you wrap you "help them along by pushing the meat around the bone down to break it from the bone. .... I never wrapped so ...... I for some reason am yearning for a sweet rib... though I am not going to go as far as Trigg and wrap and cook them in plastic.. but once I figure what I like I might try.

An Oleo pre-treatment.

070.jpg
Wrap prep is a Brown Sugar on the foil (Trigg) – Soo uses a sifter I think. By the way my theory of why Johnny does it laying the crap down and the rib on it and Soo individually prepares each side is because Triggs process has more liquids added. Trigg reportedly uses Parkay squirted on. One day I need to compare these two processes and critique what does what.
Squirt of the BBQ Sauce I made and Trigg’s preferred Tiger Sauce has been added at this point, Guava Nectar squirted too.
080.jpg

Honey is added then...100.jpg

Repeat back side 100.jpg110.jpg

But... As Popdaddy used to say when he came back out for his 3rd encore

"We ain't through, I got tha buttah 4 them women's muffin, And I ain't 2 old 2 hold the knife!"

Actually I ran into the picture max - Next up - the glaze, then each rib test.

Next up - WTF happened to this???? Skeleton Hands!

Attachments

• 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
Welp - Its time to take em out - I was a little distracted with messing with the gravity feeder so I think my hotter ones got over cooked. One thing is for sure, I need to learn to tent if I want to use it - which I do not. Not knocking the practice - just saying this happened. This was Number 2. 1.jpg

Here is the next worst one of the three. All I know was number 4 was the best. 2.jpg

This is #2 - the one which has bone show underneath (no sinew) glazed up
4.jpg
This is from left to right #4 and #3 - The Killen's/Thomas/Mad Scientist rub.
6.jpgUNGLAZED

36.jpg
While these are irregulars to compare my new hybrid with Craig Sharry Texas pepper jelly.. my son and I disagree... probably because they are inconsistent irregulars and one was 30 minutes past its prime (Sharry's piece) and the other (mine) was only 4 minutes past its prime. My son cannot remove texture from taste.... so he chose against Sharry.
22.jpg
My ribs then go in the smoker sealed off and ride the temp down on a shut off smoker ala... Myron Mixon ... who probably stole form the same person I did - Billy "Bones" Wall. But I don’t recall him (Bones) glazing.

Next test... what if the sweetener for a BBQ sauce was made out of my discarded Jack Daniels candied yams nectar?

So - Now here they all are - Disregard number 1 which was cooked in the OCP as I learned it... which rhymes with burn - which I also did. LOL I prefer # 4 (on far right) because of its back side, tenderness was only about 4 minutes overdone (the least overdone) which is why I took it off the pit and you see some of the glaze a lil slack... but it only LOOKS slack - it ended up being tight.
2a.jpg
Here are the rib samples
3a.jpg

If ya wanna see the one cooked in the OCP? Here it is. Hey Kevin Porter Smitty... this pit ever get a model number or company name?
1a.jpg
Next up Rib 2 - 3 and 4 comparisons.

I have no idea why this photo is here.

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Rib 2 -

2.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
Side
4.jpg
5.jpg
Bite
6.jpg

Remember this was the back side so a loser at least in texture. Though I was surprised my sample didn't fall apart when I bit it but likely other would have.

7.jpg

Strong work there!

Looking good there! Yep, you are The Incredible Shrinking Donnie.

Hey Kevin Porter Smitty... this pit ever get a model number or company name?

"Old Country Gravity Fed II "- AKA "Cheapest Insulated Gravity Fed on the Planet".......... :heh:

Congrats on reaching the new weight goal. Everything looks funky! Go easy wit the James Brown:dancer:

Rib #3
1.jpg
This was Rib three. Using my rub which is a lot like this new guy I think is awesome - the Mad Scientist. to that we added a glaze ala Myron Mixon - after the foil of course. ****, you probably do not know? There has been talk that foil causes early Alzheimers but I don't really believe that.

Here they are compared
3.jpg4.jpg

Side (not a bite - bad slice)
5.jpg
6.jpg
Bite
7.jpg

This was was a thin rib - so it fell apart, even though the sinew WAS NOT RTEMOVED BUT SCORED.... cookers' error.

Not sure why, maybe from your past funkiness, but the People Purple Prince edition on the counter gave me a laugh

And heck - here's number one - cooked in the Old Country Gravity Feed
1a.jpg
Compared
2a.jpg3a.jpg
WHICH ODDLY - seemed to cook faster, even though temps were slow to climb to the same level that 2 - 4 did while in the pellet cooker.

I think it would have been better if I had of pulled it with the rest because it stayed cooking longer while I glazed the other three and put them in during BOTH the prewrap phase AND glaze phase

Harry Soo APR bottom, Soo Chicken Rub top, Spritzed with my combo of Sir Duke, Aretha Franklin - Susy Wong and Billy Ocean.... and Soo's I cant believe its ot butter EVERY time I opened the pit.

Wrap it got the Myron Mixon Sauce/Glaze Hybrid thing he makes, but the Harry Soo treatment with TRIGG Tiger Sauce added.

Glaze was the Myron Mixon Glaze

Side
4.jpg

5.jpg
Bite 6.jpg

Hey Kevin Porter Smitty... this pit ever get a model number or company name?

"Old Country Gravity Fed II "- AKA "Cheapest Insulated Gravity Fed on the Planet".......... :heh:

We need to replace the word "cheap" with

The (least expensive, most Value Packed) Gravity fed Smoker.

Not sure why, maybe from your past funkiness, but the People Purple Prince edition on the counter gave me a laugh

He be covering up Paula Deen....

Oh - and by the way!!!! I took out all the stuff on the OCP for the other thread.

Ordering wheels and Dyna Q for it now.

Donnie! Sure is good to see you alive and (very) well!

Bones look excellent, and it's awesome to see you back at it... taste testing and working things out.

Keep crushing it, man.

Congratulations on the weight loss. I think I remember you but I'm not sure. Are you the guy that discovered the link between aluminum foil and that disease where people lose their memory (I forget what it's called)?

Congratulations on the weight loss. I think I remember you but I'm not sure. Are you the guy that discovered the link between aluminum foil and that disease where people lose their memory (I forget what it's called)?

yep - i feel like i should have covered it in the thread but it slipped my mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epSXr7XNiiE

i loved that only the patient "got" this video

Back