Damn stalls

C

cdmckane

The store had whole chickens on sale when I got out of work around noon today. Grabbed two, freezing the other, I injected with cajun butter and rubbed with McCormick's chicken rub and put on at 225* at 230.

At 730, after being stalled at 160* for a whole hour, I pulled it and threw it in a 400* oven while I cooked my sides.

Yup, stalls suck

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Hummm, it has never occurred to me that a chicken could stall. But then, I never have cooked chicken that low.

dude, crank the heat up on that yardbird next time!!! at least 275, i prefer 350-375.

welcome to the forums!

dude, crank the heat up on that yardbird next time!!! at least 275, i prefer 350-375.

welcome to the forums!

It's the first bird I've done and I didn't want it to dry out. I'll crank it up next time for sure.

In my experience, chix cook up juicier and more tender at higher temps. 325+. You also get edible skin that way.

Forgot to mention, if your chix was 160 in the breast, it was done.

Your pit is a wood fired oven. I never saw a recipe for roasted chicken that was less than 325:noidea:

Yea... What They Said !
I do My Chicken On the Kettle around 325-375 Anywhere near that seems to produce some good bird ..Plus your done inside 2 hrs.

So, how was the end result after 6 hours?

I injected with creole butter and it was the juiciest whole chicken I've ever had.

I know 160 is "done" but I prefer 165-170. I got really sick on undercooked chicken a few years back and prefer not to repeat that again.

Back