H*S whole shoulder Halloween

jsmorrow2s

Full Fledged Farker
Thank you to everyone here who helped a while back.

Ended up getting 2x22 lb whole shoulders from Compart Duroc. They arrived frozen and were kept in a deep freeze until last Friday. I pulled one and had it thawing in the fridge until Thursday. Thursday evening, pulled it out and injected it with about 32 oz of Butchers Hog Injection.

Then Friday morning pulled it out, rubbed with cheap yellow mustard. Got a light coat of my house made SPOG seasoning, and a med/heavy coat of both Meat Church Hot Honey Hog and Killer Hogs THE BBQ Rub. It went on the Hunsaker drum at 225°. The drum was stocked full of BandB Hickory lump with two onions quartered in the basket. I used the vortex plate on top. Every hour I mopped with a water, Italian dressing, rub, Worcestershire sauce and soy sauce mixture. I also rotated the grate every hour.

At hour 6, when I like the color, I placed it in a foil pan and wrapped. Took it to 194° then removed the foil and glazed. The glaze I used was a combo of Blues Hog Championship Blend and Killer Hogs THE BBQ sauce. Let it set for 30 min. Brought it in and let sit for 45ish minutes uncovered. I then separated it into muscle groups to the best of my abilities and pulled it into nice long strands. After that I separated the fat from the juice and reconstituted the juice back into the meat. Then vac sealed it in two large bags.

Yesterday, Saturday, at 11 I started warming those bags with my anova sous vide. I held it at 140° and right before our party, threw it in the crock pot on warm and had a self serve section.

I think some of the comments were, “this is the best damned pork I have ever had,” and “HFS this is amazing,” and my favorite “you have some talent. I could eat this every day.”

The only error I made was trimming too deep on the false cap. I should have also removed from wrap and glazed at 192° not 194° that way the glaze could set a little longer.

I will post a photo once my phone stops acting up

Love it!

You've got flavor added at most every step in the process!

Certainly sounds like your guests enjoyed the results of your cooking, and that you enjoyed the results of their visit.

Thanks for taking us with you for the adventure!

Could you post ordering information? Buying a shoulder locally is like pulling teeth.

Go to the “Compart Duroc” website and order through them. They have almost every cut of pork imaginable. It will show up on your doorstep in about 5 days. And if you have questions they are quick to answer too!

I used them for my Easter ham which was phenomenal.

That is one great looking piece of pork! No wonder everyone raved over it.

Looks great. Did it come with the skin trimmed like that? Or was it all skin and you trimmed yourself?

Thanks!

Looks great. Did it come with the skin trimmed like that? Or was it all skin and you trimmed yourself?

Thanks!

It came with an entire skin and I trimmed it. In the picture, closest to th bottom, I got a little too much of the skin and took the false cap with it, which is why it has that blemish. With the opposite one I might leave it on and do some crispy skin at the end to add into the sammits.

I’m jealous of the lucky people that got to sample that delicious looking food!

Back