High Plains Lockdown Fridge Dive - Instant Shin Ramyun --> Okinawan TanTanMen (Pt 7 of X?) w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
I've had a hankering for some TanTanMen (Okinawan Spicy Ramen with a killer ground pork "garnish").

Yesterday, I whipped up a batch of the ground pork in the cast iron (subbed some white wine, as we have no sake), and put it in the fridge. We're missing the Okinawan/Japanese spices to make the authentic version, so this went on the back burner. :shock: :doh: :sad:

Today I did find that we have Shin Ramyun (I'm sure y'all know about this spicy ramen)... Hmmm. Why not!? Let's give it a try. :noidea:

2BFvo1el.jpg

Since the meat just needed to warm up, I concentrated on the noodles and broth.

In quick succession, I put in some Tamari, Rice Vinegar, Chili Oil, and some Tahini:

ncvVVZtm.jpg

uMLk3OKm.jpg

FAxciJem.jpg

e8SaBbtm.jpg

Next came the spice packet and the freeze-dried veggie packet:

RaKecLYl.jpg

I added in the pork, some garlic quickly sautéed in sesame oil, the hot water to cook the noodles/make the broth, and a fancy snip or two of green onion.

SXD1VI7l.jpg

CINCHOUSE was thrilled.

OYMNND2l.jpg

For the munchkin, we used the same bits and bobs but skipped the chili oil, and the Shin spices. I subbed in beef broth. She loves all things having to do with / containing noodles.

8vxX35Ul.jpg

We're stuffed. Time for a nap.

2QqhOaLl.jpg

Looks really good Marc, love Munchkin's chopstiks.

Cheers, Bill! We're thankful that some of our Okinawan friends from the BossLady's dojo knew just the right presents for our baby shower.

I just wanna hang out at yer spot and look through the pantry and spice cabinet just to see what y'all got - love the selection! Oh, wouldn't mind this or any other delicious eats you're putting up while I'm at it!

I'm just now getting able to get back around to ramen. I know it's great, but it reminds me of a very lean time in my life - it was kinda like aversion therapy. But, my young 'un is all into it and makes great stuff.

Great eats - loving it! :hungry:

I just wanna hang out at yer spot and look through the pantry and spice cabinet just to see what y'all got - love the selection! Oh, wouldn't mind this or any other delicious eats you're putting up while I'm at it!

I'm just now getting able to get back around to ramen. I know it's great, but it reminds me of a very lean time in my life - it was kinda like aversion therapy.

We've got a wide variety of shenaniganry in storage 'round here. That, I can attest to.

I understand the ramen angle, as it was a staple in my life for a good 2-3 years when the budget needed that option. Once we hit Japan, it became something enjoyable again... and TanTanMen swiftly became my absolute favorite (and the most accessible restaurant that served it closed w/in months).

I've been watching videos on YouTube of folks (especially Korean street vendors) who start with a commercial package of ramen, but then take it to a level I've never seen before at home or on the street. I guess this was my attempt.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Marc,

That is a fantastic post, lots of effort but I bet it paid off! Thanks for posting!!

Thanks,
Greg

Back