THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Branson's BBQ, dswfondy (Dace)

The team . . .
DSCN1553-1.jpg

pickin' up the Desert ribbon,
DSCN1613.jpg

Sorry we got no picture of the dessert, trisha thought it bombed so she didnt take a piucture. She said she will make some soon and take a pic. Congrats to all who got the calls. will post our turn ins later when i get the pics

Greg, Bob and Ron

Thanks for the hospitality, I had a great time. The food was great, although that Brisket's gonna have me puzzled for awhile.

Got to meet dswfondy and BillM.

It was quite a learning experience for me and it was great meeting everyone.

Congrats to BillM and Chi-Town Smokers, Good Job guys!

ciret, did you add your new title to your sig line???:mrgreen:

And Buzz thanks for the brew and the "tour of the turn-in"

Will see you all at the bash.

Congrats, guys! Looks like fun! And from your pictures, I see lots of shade and Lake Michigan in the background. I can imagine some cool breezes blowing off the lake. Must have been much more bearable than the oppressive heat we had this weekend! Showed my wife those photos and she agrees... we might give Racine a shot in '07.

Congrats guys... real nice job to all. Pics were great.

(RonL - I think you shoulda given that JD girl on the right a few of your bratkabobs - she looks a little too thin)...

Ron_L said:
Having a competition at a Zoo was pertty cool. They had a few restrictions that were designed to protect the animals, but it all worked out well. We were right next to the Meerkats. They were very cute, but they kept staring at us!

5422.jpg

Gutsy little farkers to stare at a bunch of guys cooking dead animals! :lol:

MilitantSquatter said:
(RonL - I think you shoulda given that JD girl on the right a few of your bratkabobs - she looks a little too thin)...

I'm definitely going to Racine next year! I'll volunteer to feed her by hand! :wink:

parrothead said:
We had a great time at this venue. It was very well run for a first crack at a competition. We got our first iron as well. 5th in ribs was decent as we haven't been able to place well in ribs before. Once again we just need to put them all together at the same comp.

We got called three times. 5th in ribs, 10th in chicken and 2nd place for Ron L's shish-ka-brats.

parrothead w/ da iron'
DSCN1615.jpg

RonL for the brat-kabobs,
DSCN1611.jpg

here are my boxes from yesterday. I need some thoughts on them, they scored all over the place. also the pictures are not the best.

THanks

Dace

Attachments

• chicturnin.jpg
    chicturnin.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 61
  • porkturnin.jpg
    porkturnin.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 61
  • turnin.jpg
    turnin.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 58
  • ribturnin.jpg
    ribturnin.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 58
MilitantSquatter said:

My wife was there... Otherwise I would have given the JD girl my whole bratwurst! :twisted:

ciret said:
parrothead w/ the girls,
DSCN1609.jpg

(ps, check Greg's ears lol)

I guess Bob and I better start looking for a new team to cook with... We've been replaced.

BTW, those are Greg's real ears. Why do you think he wears the bandana? :-D :-D

dswfondy said:
here are my boxes from yesterday. I need some thoughts on them, they scored all over the place. also the pictures are not the best.

THanks

Dace

Hi Dace,

Always hard to tell from a pic and not sure how you scored but here's a quick opinion..

Chicken - the meat looks real good. Sides of box are bare and middle is too full especially in between the top pieces with greens
Pulled Pork - looks very dry and lost in the box. Not enough meat.
Brisket - not enough meat. looks lost in the box
Ribs - hard to tell. looks OK.

How did you score ?

Chicken:

778 677 756 777 776 898

Ribs:

589 889 779 787 648 789

Pork:

677 658 877 866 766 866

Brisket:

965 877 977 878 877 776

Thanks

The pork was very moist, i only added prob. 2 tbl of our sauce just to get a different flavor

Brisket slices are almost an inch thick, brisket temps took off during the early morning so i rested it then put back in smoker, but still got too tender i could of turned it in as pulled brisket.

Our chicken was great tasting. We got bad scores last year at cabelas with it also but didnt forsee lower scores this time

Our ribs last time were on the spicy side we thought for some of the judges so i turned the rub way down. Ended up 6th like last year. Not sure how we got that 4 in tenderness?????

Hey! Those girls are my cousins!

Nice job to all you folks. Sounds like it was a helluva time!

ciret said:
parrothead w/ the girls,
DSCN1609.jpg

(ps, check Greg's ears lol)

dswfondy said:

THanks

Dace

chicken--7--maybe 8--needs more evenness along the edges with the greens, peices are uneven sized, and the sauce looks blotchy--of course pics don't show it all!

pork--maybe 6--looks dry and just tossed in box without much thought

Brisket--think thats the next pic--suffers from too many greens--put more meat in the box--was your brisket kinda overdone??

in fact the last two pics really don't offer themselves for a good critique!

We only use maybe 6pc of lettuce per box with parsely to fill in the gaps--fill it with meat--assuming you are proud of the product!

Chicken--we do 6 thighs 'cause it works best--trim them to uniform size-- usually have the 6 picked out b4 cooking!!!!
Ribs------hopefully we can get ten good ones off 2 racks(usually spares)
pork------pull a BUNCH--I like turning in slices too--thick ones-
brisket----I trim the meat to fit the box b4 cooking them hopefully can lay 8- 10 slices on top of some big chunks of point!

now I'll read the rest of the messages

nice meeting you for sure!!

Back