Yakitori Day

Damn you, I'm in the middle of building my own Konro box right now! can't wait till they're done!

Konro1_zpsfe6ba621.jpg

One piece of advice, if you can find it, go with heavier wire mesh. That stuff you have there will warp with the first cook. I don't understand how or why, but, they warp fast.

One piece of advice, if you can find it, go with heavier wire mesh. That stuff you have there will warp with the first cook. I don't understand how or why, but, they warp fast.

Are you referring to the stainless wire mesh? Yeah, it was a shot in the dark on what to buy.

My question, why even have it? if you skewer it correctly nothing should fall, is that what the mesh is for?

I bought skewers with that are flat so they shouldn't spin and I'm going to have a 3/4" flat lip on each side of the box.

I'll run a few test burns to determine what I need.

Thanks!

You do not need the mesh for most things, if you have the width correct, or use metal skewers. The mesh is nice for things that do not lend themselves to the skewer, such as small fish, squids, baby octopus, or thin cutlets of steak. It is all a choice.

Wow, what a meal and what a lot of work. Good food does not come easily to the Japanese purist! Very impressive! It all looks awesome.

You do not need the mesh for most things, if you have the width correct, or use metal skewers. The mesh is nice for things that do not lend themselves to the skewer, such as small fish, squids, baby octopus, or thin cutlets of steak. It is all a choice.

Yeah, I was thinking about the fish and steaks, good point.

I'm building this box so the lip height and screen are adjustable on both sides in case the fire is too hot for whatever I'm cooking. I also was gong to go with a divider so I could have a cool side, but my Konro's are only 24" long.

When I do Yakitori, I am looking for a blaze box, not really thinking about hot/cool sides. I handle all of the cooking differences with how I cut the food up.

Wow looks beautiful! Love Grilled octopus. Too bad it'll cost me about $100 bucks to ship one of those Konro's up here. Otherwise I think I would have one on the way!

Back