Dead propane tank?

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
I have a 20 lb. propane tank that weighs 30.8 lbs. Tare weight is stamped as 18 lbs. so there's 13 lbs. of fuel inside. But when I crack the valve, nothing comes out. It's a Blue Rhino swap tank that's a few years old. Never had this happen before. Anybody else ever have a valve failure?

Is the tank connected to anything?
If so, and it's not flowing gas, I'd take it to a Blue Rhino dealer, explain the problem and ask for a replacement.
Could be a bad valve.

Never did the tank swap thing. Always had my own refilled when I had a gasser and pop-up trailer.

Return the tank for the deposit. You'll forget about propane after you get the Woodfire :wink:

Did you literally open the valve while NOT connected to anything? I had this problem with a blackstone griddle. Thought it was the tank at first but it was the blackstone pressure regulator.

Did you literally open the valve while NOT connected to anything? I had this problem with a blackstone griddle. Thought it was the tank at first but it was the blackstone pressure regulator.

Yes. No hiss, not a peep.

Constantly! Blue Rhino and Amerigas exchange services are horrible. I'd say on average 1 of every 15 I get are faulty. They always honor the replacement, but what a drag when you go to the trouble to get it and it doesn't work when you need it! Additionally, they only put 15# in their tanks as opposed to 20# when you have your tank filled. And here, you pay $22 for the junky, undependable exchange, and $18 when you refill your tank with more propane. Interesting.....

Is the tank connected to anything?
If so, and it's not flowing gas, I'd take it to a Blue Rhino dealer, explain the problem and ask for a replacement.
Could be a bad valve.

I had it connected to a pressure gage and got nothing. Don't remember where I got it or exactly when. Home Depot or a convenience store. Lots of places do the swaps. A retailer isn't going to honor a warrantee without a receipt. I'll take the hit and swap it again.

I had it connected to a pressure gage and got nothing. Don't remember where I got it or exactly when. Home Depot or a convenience store. Lots of places do the swaps. A retailer isn't going to honor a warrantee without a receipt. I'll take the hit and swap it again.

That's all you can really do. Tanks are crazy expensive nowadays. Without a exchange they want $80.

I had this happen once - took it to a refill place and the guy proceeded to lift the tank over his head and slam it on the grassy ground right side up.

He told me the OPD device can stick in the up position. You might give that whirl - yes, I took off running when he did it but it worked. YMMV

^^^^ I had this happen several times when opening a tank to quick and it activated the safety device. But it was when connected to the grill. Close tank, open burner knobs on grill to drain anything that's there. Turn off knobs, and slowly open tank valve. Was good to go every time.

The Woodfire won't replace a very hot grill. Or cook a pizza.
The Woodfire will never replace lump grilling, but comes close. The convenience was my selling/buying point. If pizza is the focus, the Woodfire oven might have been a better choice.

Here's the deal. Yeah your going to have to eat the 13 lbs. of propane in your thank but trade it out and be done with it. If a new tank does not work on your rig, it's the regulator. If you want to pursue the tank you have to save 13 lbs of gas, try it on another cooker. that will let you know for sure.

Good luck and I do like the throw it in the grass idea mentioned above. Signed retired HVAC guy.

I had this happen once - took it to a refill place and the guy proceeded to lift the tank over his head and slam it on the grassy ground right side up.

He told me the OPD device can stick in the up position. You might give that whirl - yes, I took off running when he did it but it worked. YMMV

This is generally the answer. I've even seen it done on concrete. The harder the surface the better. It's been happening ever since propane tanks have been made safer for us.:rolleyes:

As others have stated, it sounds like the OPD safety valve has tripped.

This video explains how to reset: https://youtu.be/Z-1kLrLis9U

I've done this, to no avail. I have pressure gauges on my grills that have a safety feature - the grill needs to be turned off when you crack the tank open or else it thinks you have a leak and it won't flow. Sounds similar to the OPD valve function. But that's second nature for me now.

The Woodfire will never replace lump grilling, but comes close. The convenience was my selling/buying point. If pizza is the focus, the Woodfire oven might have been a better choice.

Pizza isn't the focus, it's a side benefit. A griddle that's smokin' hot in 3 minutes is the gasser's forte'. Don't expect to do bacon and eggs in an electric oven.

Had it happen today, picked up 3 tanks beside the road for trash, had the right handles so took them to Walmart and swapped them out. One tank sat for a couple years and wouldn't let the gas out, worked on it with a rubber mallet and still nothing. Swapped it out and hope it will work later today when it stops raining.

Back