Dead propane tank?

Always open the valve very slowly , if tripped let any pressure off first and make sure burners are off. least ways that has always worked for me

Just as a follow up-

I'm handicapped and don't drive (yet). I rely on delivery for most everything. Getting a 30 lb. propane tank to an exchange station would be a chore.

So...

Enter Hocon Gas, a local propane dealer. They offer a Gas On The Go residential delivery service. You put your empty tank on your doorstep and they swap it for a full one.

20 lbs. for $24.88, delivered.

Attachments

• Propane Tank.jpg
    Propane Tank.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 82
Constantly! Blue Rhino and Amerigas exchange services are horrible. I'd say on average 1 of every 15 I get are faulty. They always honor the replacement, but what a drag when you go to the trouble to get it and it doesn't work when you need it! Additionally, they only put 15# in their tanks as opposed to 20# when you have your tank filled. And here, you pay $22 for the junky, undependable exchange, and $18 when you refill your tank with more propane. Interesting.....

The gas station up the street sells those 3/4 filled tanks for $24. If I go 3 more blocks up the street to Safeway, they're $18. It pays to shop around.

On one of those companies web sites (think it's Blue Rhino) if you do a location search they will provide you with a map with icons showing their local locations. Notice that a few of them are further marked as "Just Filled". Those are the ones to go to if you're trading in a rusty old free tank and want a new tank. After I figured that one out I got a brand new tank. Date stamp showed it was less than six weeks old. As soon as I got home I cut off the plastic wrap, of course. I will never swap it in - I'll call around and get the best price on propane and go get it filled all the way up for cheaper than a swap for 3/4 full for more money.

seattlepitboss

Glad you were able to get it swapped out for a reasonable price.

I use the exchange things. And I go and get them refilled. It all depends on what I'm up to. Propane refilling has to be the slowest processes in the human existence. I used to RV full time and went through tons of tanks, and I can't think of any of them that were quick and easy. It's always Go inside, stand in line, say you need a propane refill, watch their confusion, they radio to try to find someone to help, everyone tries to pass it off, you go back outside and wait, they finally refill it, you go back inside and stand in line to pay, then you can leave.

I can hit the swap and go and be done in minutes. The 1/4 less tank, is worth the 3x time savings to me.

Had one do it last month, gave it a little massage with a rubber hammer, didn’t help so just traded it in for a new one.

These tanks require hydrostatic testing every 5 years (same as a scuba tank).
My local ACE hardware won't refill if overdue for testing.
That's when I trade it in for a nice new tank at a Blue Rhino (or similar) dealer.

Back