WSM vs PBC

Ive done the following on the out of the box PBC with consistantly excellent results. Super moist meats with minimal effort and virtually no monitoring. Cooking vertically makes a difference IMHO.

Pizza
Brisket
Chicken
Pulled pork
Shish kabobs
Ground beef shish kabobs
Leg of lamb
fish
Shellfish
All kinds of veggies

Thats versatile in my books.

That's a nice, varied menu. I think the WSM can handle it. I would really love to see the pizza cooked vertically. :razz:

No UDS isn't strictly a low and slow cooker.. I can dial in what ever temp i want on the UDS and yes it's direct heat... no difference. I cook chickens on my drum at 350 and do butts/briskets at 275. Just because one has a pretty horse shoe and uses hooks doesn't separate it from being a UDS..just a 30 gallon version.

That's why I said UDS "generally" for low and slow where as PBC is not. That to me differentiates the two. The pretty horseshoes actually serve a purpose as lid/grate holders plus a stand and dont get hot during a cook. :biggrin1:

That's a nice, varied menu. I think the WSM can handle it. I would really love to see the pizza cooked vertically. :razz:

You ought to try the vertical pizza.:-D

I kid you not I wanted to say except the pizza

My vote...

PBC = 30g UDS :drama:

Vertical pizza cook...No peel required...
029.JPG

Someone please verify MeatCandy is a registered voter and has a photo ID.

lol, it's not useless to someone considering buying one or the other.

An unbiased discussion of the merits of each would be useful to someone trying to decide between the two. That would allow them to determine which one best fits their needs. Trying to declare which one is better is useless because that is way too dependent on individual needs and an agreement will never be reached.

An unbiased discussion of the merits of each would be useful to someone trying to decide between the two. That would allow them to determine which one best fits their needs. Trying to declare which one is better is useless because that is way too dependent on individual needs and an agreement will never be reached.

I think this thread will be very useful and informative to a prospective buyer! (Especially when they realize the WSM is the better value). :tape:

:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Just because it's a drum it doesn't make it a UDS. Imo the intended functions for the two are different even though they look the same. Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the UDS meant to be generally used for for more Low and slow cooks and indirect as opposed to direct heat at a min of 275* on the PBC?
smoker-01-0612-lgn.jpg

It's always hard to have a definitive answer on these cooker comparison threads. At the end of the day, it boils down to the cook who is operating the unit. Worry more about your own techniques and you'll be able to cook great meat on any damn thing.

One major advantage of the PBC, and drums in general, is that wind and weather won't hurt your cook. It will just about knock out a WSM. That is why you see guys at competitions snuggling up their WSM with water heater blankets.

Back