WSM vs PBC

I have a PBC. I bought it to see what the hoopla was about. It is a fine cooker. Nothing could be simpler. But, I don't see enough of a difference between it and a WSM or UDS to make a big deal over. They are all minor variations of the same principals. Each with a different focus and strengths and weaknesses. They will appeal to different people.

Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I don't need one more item taking up space on my patio. Anyone that wants to buy my PBC can come and get it. Try it out for yourself.

As Ron said, it does make fantastic chicken. The rubs are also pretty good.

I think the better question is why can't someone make one with their 55 or 30 gallons....I have.

Who cares about which is better? It is what works best for you! Everybody situation is different. I have a wood smokehouse 80% of the people on here wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. A ton of people have stick burners that I don't want because, well I don't know, I just don't want one. They both put out great Q. It is totally personal preference.

The main difference I see between a WSM and a PBC is I have a WSM but I don't have a PBC, and since I am apparently psychotic about getting new cookers, I will probably have a PBC at some point. :oops:

I cooked some sausage on Moose's PBC at the SoCal Bash and I thought it was a cool little cooker - very, very simple, and that appeals to me. It's highly portable and could be great for camping, taking to a friend's house, going to the beach/park, etc. Looks to me like you can just fire it up, put the food in, check for it to be done, and eat. I'm guessing it's pretty much do the same with a WSM, especially the smaller one, but different strokes for different folks. I don't care what delicious food is cooked on - it just needs to get cooked.

My guess would be a deciding factor for a lot of folks will be the price point.

Who cares about which is better? It is what works best for you! Everybody situation is different. I have a wood smokehouse 80% of the people on here wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. A ton of people have stick burners that I don't want because, well I don't know, I just don't want one. They both put out great Q. It is totally personal preference.

Hey, if you ever want to sell that wooden beauty of a beast, I'm your guy. :thumb::thumb:

If I could afford the coin for it, that is...:biggrin1:

It is unfair to compare CL price vs retail Price. And a WSM for $50 is considered a steal on CL. It is few and far between that sell for that price. You are looking at $125+ if anything for an 18in WSM on CL.

Ok, we'll use your $125. That is still less than half the cost of a PBC. (The 2 WSMs I have cost $100 (last year) and $50 (last week). The main point is, they are available as used items, the PBC (obviously) isn't.)

According to its own website, the PBC is $269, w/ free shipping.

According to Amazon, the 18.5 WSM is $299, w/ free shipping.

Not much of a price advantage, and even though the owner is surely a fine person and will stand behind his product, PBC customer service will never equal Weber's. It can't. Weber has given away more free kettle/WSM parts than PBC will probably ever make. I say this not to denigrate PBC, but to dismiss the notion that its CS is an "obvious" advantage over Weber's, as was stated above.

Again, if folks want to make/buy PBCs, fine w/ me. I hope it's a successful business venture.

Apparently it's a cooker designed to run at one temperature for the sake of convenience. I'll take the versatility of the WSM, even if it costs $30 more and has 3 adjustable air intakes that I may have to move once or twice in 5-8 hours. :shock:

who cares about which is better? It is what works best for you! Everybody situation is different. I have a wood smokehouse 80% of the people on here wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. A ton of people have stick burners that i don't want because, well i don't know, i just don't want one. They both put out great q. It is totally personal preference.

amen

amen

amen

I say this not to denigrate PBC, but to dismiss the notion that its CS is an "obvious" advantage over Weber's, as was stated above.

Assuming you are referring to my comment about customer service... I didn't refer to customer service as an "obvious" advantage. I said that I "obviously" wasn't comparing CL prices. Perhaps the word "big" advantage was too strong for you, but it is still a different word. Peace!

i have both as well as offsets, eggs, pellet cookers, etc.. For everyday, quck hits stuff i find myslef leaning on the PBC more than the WSM.

for ease, I go to the PBC. I just think its easier to load, light, clean, and move, but i use it for short cooks. Chicken, beef roasts, etc.

Loading, just drop in the charcoal basket, wait 20 miutes, then close the lid. WSM, same thing, but mess with vents a little to lock it in. its about as quick and easy as lighting the kettle.

Cleanup, PBC wins. No water pan, less ash(less capacity).

transporting a PBC is easier than the WSM. All parts fit inside and it comes with solid handles to just pick it up and move it. The WSM, unless you add handles, or like to juggle, is not as east to move.

longer cooks I go to the WSM or offsets.

flavor profile is different too. My family doesnt like smoke, but the like wood roasting, which is more of what the PBC does due to the effect of the radiant heat. The WSM, used as designed its more of a bbq/smoker. If you really want to compare it, i would compare the PBC flavor profile more towards a UDS.

bottom line.. they each have a place.. get both.

Assuming you are referring to my comment about customer service... I didn't refer to customer service as an "obvious" advantage. I said that I "obviously" wasn't comparing CL prices. Perhaps the word "big" advantage was too strong for you, but it is still a different word. Peace!

Ok, I stand corrected. :biggrin1:

FWIW, when I make points in this discussion or read those of others, it's nothing personal. So, peace indeed!

Talking to the creator on his cell phone is one thing Weber can't match. :tongue:

Ok, I stand corrected. :biggrin1:

FWIW, when I make points in this discussion or read those of others, it's nothing personal. So, peace indeed!

Talking to the creator on his cell phone is one thing Weber can't match. :tongue:

That's cool. thanks for the reply. :mrgreen:

Oh Albert, Look what's going on!!!

AE-The Man

Last edited:
To me they're essentially the same thing. Some people are handy, like DIY projects, desire some customization, or want to save a buck or two so they build their own PBC.

EDIT: I did not realized that PBCs were commercial UDS's. I thought the OP was talking about UDS's in general. My mistake.

i have both as well as offsets, eggs, pellet cookers, etc.. For everyday, quck hits stuff i find myslef leaning on the PBC more than the WSM.

for ease, I go to the PBC. I just think its easier to load, light, clean, and move, but i use it for short cooks. Chicken, beef roasts, etc.

Loading, just drop in the charcoal basket, wait 20 miutes, then close the lid. WSM, same thing, but mess with vents a little to lock it in. its about as quick and easy as lighting the kettle.

Cleanup, PBC wins. No water pan, less ash(less capacity).

transporting a PBC is easier than the WSM. All parts fit inside and it comes with solid handles to just pick it up and move it. The WSM, unless you add handles, or like to juggle, is not as east to move.

longer cooks I go to the WSM or offsets.

flavor profile is different too. My family doesnt like smoke, but the like wood roasting, which is more of what the PBC does due to the effect of the radiant heat. The WSM, used as designed its more of a bbq/smoker. If you really want to compare it, i would compare the PBC flavor profile more towards a UDS.

bottom line.. they each have a place.. get both.

I don't understand. Are you saying lump burned in a PBC will not smoke, but in a WSM, it will? If that's what you're saying, what accounts for the difference? Also, how is radiant heat different in a PBC than a WSM?

Thanks.

Back