If you buy a hanging kit and remove the water pan from a wsm, is it the same as a pitbarrel cooker?

ryeguy

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Ryan
I'm considering getting a PBC but I already have a WSM. It seems like if I get a hanging kit and take out the water pan then it's the exact same as a PBC.

Is that right? Is there anything a PBC does better in this case?

Interesting query
I quite often cook without waterpan, but by lying meat down. I like the result.
Maybe try this?
I wish I could buy a hanging kit and extra middle section for my 14.5" wsm.
Maybe one of these days I will make something

I have a 14.5 with the extra middle section and hanging kit, works great for hanging ribs but I leave the empty water pan in since it still is kind of short.

It will cook just like a PBC, but you will have more control over Temps.
The Gateway hanging rack is a perfect fit and very sturdy. The 30 gallon size fits the 18.5" and the 55 gallon size fits the 22".

It will cook just like a PBC, but you will have more control over Temps.
The Gateway hanging rack is a perfect fit and very sturdy. The 30 gallon size fits the 18.5" and the 55 gallon size fits the 22".

That's very helpful info Lloyd. I have an 18.5 WSM. Weber discontinued their version of a hanging rack but a fellow Brethren sold me a kit he had. It was ill designed but I purchased some PBC hooks and used bread ties to hold the cross bars in place. Been making fantastic ribs on it.

cSpHDYf.jpg

6GHAkNu.jpg

SvGTiJw.jpg

V1zgjoa.jpg

To the OP, the whole point of hanging ribs is over the fire BBQ. Where the fat drops into the coal and/or wood and flares back up onto the meat. It defeats the purpose to have the water pan in the WSM.

A different taste for sure and DELICIOUS! :icon_smile_tongue:

Have fun with it and Good Luck!

I got the riser from Spitfire Grills on Etsy, think they are in Canada and the hanger from Hunsaker.

I've never swapped ends when hanging ribs without the water pan, they may get a little more done on the bottom but never burn

If I may expand on my earlier post, I absolutely would buy a hanger system for my WSM if I were you.
You still have all the different methods of using the Weber, and it can be a versatile cooker.
Think of it as adding another arrow to your quiver.
The PBC has its limitations. The wonderful fat vaporizing on the coals smoke profile is delicious, but the PBC is kind of a 1 trick pony; it is difficult to get any other taste from it.
Hope this helps.

Mike, do you have to flip those ribs bottom-to-top during the cook? If so, how many time?

No. It's high enough over the coals to get even heat. I hook the spares 3 bones down on the large end so they won't get too tender to pull apart and fall into the fire.

Back