Wife Just Bought a Box of BEEF From a Guy Driving Down Our Street!

This post first appeared in 2012, and it is still alive.
the cheaters are still alive.
It sounds like in China.
Even in China these kind of cheaters are getting less and less

We had one of these freaks try to sell us their "last box" a few years ago. I told the guy we didn't have any more room in our freezers, but he swore he could "make room". Needless to say, I sent the carnival attraction packing.

some of you folks are really nice!

my wife has had to pull me off a few jokers like this as they were smelling the front of the .40 barrel.

I love the casa / immanent domain laws of TX!

Easiest way to discourage them here is to tell them that you notice they are not wearing their Solicitors Permit (supposed to be worn in plain sight). Puts them on the defensive and they slowly walk away and never return. Seems they fear the knowledge of local laws...

They give you prices based on a box (or case as they call it... LOL) hoping you are bad at math and can't calculate the real price per pound.

That's funny, had a couple guys approach me when I was in college. Listened to his sales picth for 30 seconds, took my phone out, and called the police. When I started giving the 911 operator a description of the truck I don't know HOW they could have moved much faster... lol

Had the white van guys approach me twice, first time I told them I knew the speakers were crap and I'd give them $50 for a set. They agreed (shows you how cheap they actually are) and I rocked those babies all through college. All kinds of crap dumped on them and they got left out in the rain numerous times, sounded awful but I was broke and didn't care, as long as they worked.

The second time I was in a gas station parking lot loading my motocycle on a trailer after it left me stranded, so I was already in a foul mood. Heated words were said and teh gas station owner and I ended up calling the police on them. He thanked me for running them off afterwards, but it was real uncomfortable there for a few minutes. These guys aren't exactly top of the social class and it was a good lesson in keeping my trap shut some times...

They have hit our neighborhood a few times in the past. Always in a white van (rental) and have the "last box" in their hand when they knock on the door. The last one had his in Omaha Steaks box and said the delivery address was wrong and he could not send them back. No sale! He actually asked me if any of my neighbors might be interested in a deal. I walked to the driveway as he was leaving and acted as if I was writing down his tag #. He left faster than he came.

Reading this thread and "knock knock". Can I offer you my last box of salvation sir? Cant make this stuff up

I can remember back in the 60's being at my grandparents. A pickup pulled into their yard with a tarp over the bed. The driver jumped out, asked if we wanted to buy some meat, and whipped back the tarp to reveal a beef carcass. No ice or anything. We declined.

pig008jpga.jpg

Every now and then I get a chance at some street meat.... This pet pig (I think they call him Sparky or something) escapes about 3 or 4 times a year. I wouldn't feel right luring him into my garage. :twisted:

DSC07438aaa.jpg

I get pronghorns in the neighborhood all the time..... but I don't want to spend a night in the crowbar motel, and have my hunting and fishing privileges revoked.... not to mention the fine.

As far as the truck deal, I bought some Corning ware off the back of a truck about 25 years ago (I'm sure it was stolen) and Mrs ~t~ scolded me for buying knock-off cookware. Heheheeee. We still have some of the pieces.
I used to pass fresh roadkilled deer on the way to my kids school, when they needed a ride for some reason. On the way back, it was not unusual to see the undamaged portion missing. We call it "chainsaw venison". If the fleas and ticks are still on it, you are good to go!

Nooooo...

I did that once. The steaks were super gristled up and the other cuts were just OK.

I have a funny story related to this. I live on a dead end road and then a 1/2 mile of private driveway marked the same with no trespassing sign also. I'm out working on my excavator when one of these jokers pulls in and parks right next to it. I politely tell him no thanks I have my own beef. He gets an attitude and tells me it can't be nearly as good as what he sells. Makes me a bit mad so I fire up the hoe and spin it around so the bucket is right behind his little truck and the nose of his truck is up against it. He goes on about what the heck are you doing. I open the door and ask what part of no trespassing did you miss. He starts using some choice language how he's going to call the cops. Go ahead I said would you like the sheriffs cell number we're good friends. Long story short it cost him $20 bucks for me to let him go with the warning I have your plate number. Talk about one upset scammer!

I have a funny story related to this. I live on a dead end road and then a 1/2 mile of private driveway marked the same with no trespassing sign also. I'm out working on my excavator when one of these jokers pulls in and parks right next to it. I politely tell him no thanks I have my own beef. He gets an attitude and tells me it can't be nearly as good as what he sells. Makes me a bit mad so I fire up the hoe and spin it around so the bucket is right behind his little truck and the nose of his truck is up against it. He goes on about what the heck are you doing. I open the door and ask what part of no trespassing did you miss. He starts using some choice language how he's going to call the cops. Go ahead I said would you like the sheriffs cell number we're good friends. Long story short it cost him $20 bucks for me to let him go with the warning I have your plate number. Talk about one upset scammer!

Awesome! Best outcome yet.

Now, I'm waiting for the OP to report back.

Thinking we won't get much of an update from OP as the original post was in 2012. Pretty funny these scumbags are still around.

Ok, so when I got out of the Army at the end of 1995 and returned to Philly after just turning 21, I still had no usable civilian skills, as I was in an airborne artillery unit and I was looking for a job in the newspaper.

I went down to interview at a company called YNB (Your Neighborhood Butcher), I believe it was headquartered out of Arizona, but they had satellite offices up and down the east coast (Tampa, Boston, Philly, ect…). At the “interview” I actually smashed up my car wheel in the parking lot on an island curb that I didn’t see, because it was pitch black. The regional manager called AAA and helped me out. The guy they made a manager was a marine and I thought it was legit at the time, so I took the job.

It turned out to be door to door sales and I had nothing else going on, so I thought I would see how it worked. They also moved other sales people to this location to help it get started. There was an ex-nfl player and other assorted people who had been successful in this business. I was not making much money and I quit after a few months and I’ll let you all in on how this works.

They had training classes/pep meetings in the morning before you went out and they taught you all the classic entry or opening pitches you hear, “I’m done my meat route and I have a leftover box, hold on, let me just show you what I have real quick.”, “I was delivering in your area and this is my last box…”, “We distribute Steak, Chicken & Seafood and my last delivery was cancelled…”. The main objective was to show you the product in your home or space and get into a conversation of how great the product was and how to answer any objections. Freezer full? If I can’t make it fit, I’ll give it to you for free. How much per pound? Well what we do is to trim all the fat and remove all the bone and flash freeze in vacuum sealed packages, so you don’t pay for what you don’t eat. You are vegan or vegetarian? I’m sure you know someone who could use it!

Then they would show you the payout scale which increased with how many cases you sold. Within those cases were like 5 or 6 boxes 2-3 of meat, 2-3 of chicken & usually 1 seafood.

The office was in an industrial office complex and had warehouse space attached on the back. In the back warehouse was a large freezer loaded with hundred or so cases. Then there were 6-10 economy sized red Nissan trucks with a storage freezer on the back and no advertising on it. They would load you up with cases and brochure pamphlets, and then send you out.

At the end of the day or night, because you would call into the office to give updates and they would tell you not to come back until you sold more, you had to pay for the use of the truck and gas and then you would count back into the freezer whatever you didn’t sell. They also get you to go to all your family and friends to try and sell.

I actually made it to assistant manager and as you moved up into “management” of the company, you would get a percentage of whatever the office sold. I still didn’t make much money and told them I was leaving. They then offered to send me to Boston and show me how much easier it was and get a change of environment, but I still left.

Nobody was concerned with the quality of the product or where it came from. They were all just given a legal product to sell any way you could. Some guys would go to a bar and drink while they talked with patrons, other people went to residential neighborhoods and went door to door, others went to mom and pop business, ect…

The profit margins can be large or small depending how well you could sell, but mainly the sales people barely made any money and sometimes would even owe money, because they had to pay for the truck and gas.

I’m not sure but I believe the managers and regional managers made the most on this pyramid, because I’m sure they got the product for pennies on the dollar. I always wondered where the product came from, as they would always just give you the sales pitch spiel of where it originated.

That was my first and last “job” of that type. Lesson learned!

I have never been tempted with something like that but I have seen roadside truck selling meat and I always drive by and pass. There is no way I would buy from someone like that.

Back