Wife Just Bought a Box of BEEF From a Guy Driving Down Our Street!

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
My wife was outside enjoying the evening and a guy pulls up in our driveway, talks to her about buying some beef. Next thing I know he carries up a big box of vacuum packed, flash frozen U.S.D.A. meat. Says it is his last box and will sell it for half price. It looks good. Packaged in Illinois. The box read Steakhouse quality Cuts. Home Chef's Selections Brand.

Box included:
4 KC Strip (bone in) 12oz
8 Bacon Wrap Fillets 6oz
8 Sirlon Strip 6oz
4 Ribeye (bone in) 14oz
10 Top sirlon fillet 5oz
12 100% pure Steak burgers 8oz
Regular price $295.
Discount price $143.00
Sold by PGB Foods.

Has anyone heard of this company? Says they serve St. Louis, Chicago, Kansas city, Springfield & beyond. The also sell poultry & seafood.
Yes we bought it. :shock: Guess I will find out if it is any good.

Have been approached in a similar fashion by a pick-up truck with a freexer of boxed meats.
I just am wary of these complete out of nowhere and lack of a background.

I always just decline... repeatedly. They don't like to hear no.

Same story. I was hanging Christmas lights this past winter and had to get all the way down from my roof to tell the guy that I buy my meat fresh. He showed me his "last box" and I wasn't impressed. If you really wanted it, you should have said no a few more times, the price would have came down further....

He practically begged me to buy.

Trash it! Good lesson learned.Sorry to say that,but it's the truth.Do you have dogs??? I would NOT trust it.Just my opinion and I hope for your sake that I am wrong.

my gf's father ran into one of these guys he thought it was a wonderful idea considering fourth of july was around the corner and he was doing a small bbq. we all ate the food we all fought for the two bathrooms in the house when we all got sick cut your losses and dump it!

Reminds me of the guys who drive around, usually in a white mini van, saying they have EV Voice of the Theater speakers because an extra pallet got left at the dock and you can have 'em cheap.

I am usually skeptical of people selling things from places where they cannot be found later.

I just did a little cifering.It totals 17.74 lbs.I did discount 3 oz. for the bones in the ribeyes.It still comes to $8.05 per lb.:tsk: Put her in timeout!:cry:

My wife was outside enjoying the evening and a guy pulls up in our driveway, talks to her about buying some beef. Next thing I know he carries up a big box of vacuum packed, flash frozen U.S.D.A. meat. Says it is his last box and will sell it for half price. It looks good. Packaged in Illinois. The box read Steakhouse quality Cuts. Home Chef's Selections Brand.

Box included:
4 KC Strip (bone in) 12oz
8 Bacon Wrap Fillets 6oz
8 Sirlon Strip 6oz
4 Ribeye (bone in) 14oz
10 Top sirlon fillet 5oz
12 100% pure Steak burgers 8oz
Regular price $295.
Discount price $143.00
Sold by PGB Foods.

Has anyone heard of this company? Says they serve St. Louis, Chicago, Kansas city, Springfield & beyond. The also sell poultry & seafood.
Yes we bought it. :shock: Guess I will find out if it is any good.

We had a guy come around trying to sell items similar to this, he was arrested for soliciting without a permit. The meat was "enhanced" with a tenderizer solution, and many people complained to the town, so they did this to drive him out of our town.

Take your expenditure of $143.00 for 21.5 pounds of meat and you spent $6.65 per pound including the 6 pounds of hamburgers ($3.33 per hamburger)

Like "Hoss" said, taking out the bone weights you paid $8.05 per pound of meat.

You don't know if meat glue was used to piece the steaks together or if the burgers contain pink slime. Too many unknown variables to buy from the street from an unknown packager. I think they prey on people who see the discount as a savings when the discounted price is much higher than a butcher.

I'm sure his next stop he told them he had only one box left. This helps put the pressure on you to consider the validity of the "discounted" price.

Sorry but you asked ... Just my two cents

Caveat emptor! No good every came out of salesman's pick-up truck in your driveway. :(

Don't buy any meat on the street.
Avoid food poisoning.
Remember the old adage:
'If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is...'

What she should have done is report the shyster to the local PD.
Report the shyster to the local health department.
It's a cinch he has no business license, and health inspections???

BUY YOUR MEAT FROM AN ESTABLISHED MEAT MARKET...

This I found a little funny.Only because I'm a truck driver and I used to pull a reefer (refrigerated trailer) and there were times we would have a damaged box and they would scrap the box.Well I've sold french fries to a bar in NY they were the same ones used at a "royal" burger chain.Had 25 bottles of wesson oil given to me because one bottle broke.Bought a 10lb log of frozen bologna from a guy in a truck stop once.Among many other things.What wasn't donated we got to keep.I realize it's a scam they are running just thought about it a little differently.

We had the "pleasure" a few years ago of buying some from a truck in the neighborhood. Did not get sick, but the texture of the meat was that of mushy Liver! So most got trashed and lesson learned. Don't feel bad and don't let your wife feel bad either, it happens to us all at some point, and we just get smarter for it in the future!

We had a similar guy come by our neighborhood last year too. A neighbor and I were like you and bought a box thinking we got a great deal. Until I started noticing the meats were not good quality at all and noticed the vacuum seals had holes in them. The guy said satisfaction guaranteed but when I try calling the number all you get is a machine. Stay away from these guys like others have said.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ifp2hf

I had that happen to me right after I moved into my house back in 03. Guy was driving a small Nissan truck with a mini cooler on the back. He had another guy with him and they both came up to me while I was in the garage working on my car. The main guy told me that this meat was really good and opened this box to show me all these "PRIME CUTS." I told them I didn't have a checkbook or something and he kept persisting over and over. Finally I told him, I did not want to buy it and to please leave. He got all pissy and grabbed his stuff, threw it in his truck and they left. The other guy must have been a trainee. He never spoke. This was from a place calls Steakhouse meats or Smokehouse meats. I can't remember. I used to work for a local meat company so I wasn't going to fall for their nonsense.

I finally had to put up a no soliciting sign on the door. We were getting so many door to door jerks selling crap.
:wacko:

Back