THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For communion on Saturday morning at BBQ Church with my fellow competitors. Thanks, Jeff, for bringing the spiritual to the contest circuit. But I won't AMEN to Give It to God winning!

I agree with Vince there aren't many "sports" that you can go up against the best out there straight outta the gate..BBQ is exactly that and if you cook good enough you can actually WIN..another reason for me is that cooking is my passion and comps are a place where I can bring that passion to the judges and share it with them..also it has brought my son and I closer together and we have met and made friends with great people all over this great country..that's what's it's about to us..and of course winning,money and trophies are great too.

This is my 10th season. I compete because I still feel like I’m good at it, it’s getting tougher to win so I like that challenge... I’m still passionate about it… If/When I’m not, I’ll quit. I can spend a grand a weekend doing something else.

Same here.
I really look forward to the rush I get on Saturday morning...I call it BBQ cocaine. I also think allot about a set of glasses I bought several years ago that say "The grill of hickory.....the agony of burnt meat".
I also look forward to the Saturday morning devotional time when Jeff is there.

Forrest's Fine foods

The reason I compete is for the totality of the experience. If it was just one or two reasons, I probably wouldn't do it.

Here are my main reasons:

I enjoy working with family and friends (and that's our team).
I enjoy cooking BBQ.
I love the people associated w/ BBQ. The judges, other cooks, organizers and attendees are generally all great people.
I get to share something that I'm enthusiastic about.
I enjoy competing (but that's low on the list).

Eric

In what arena, other than poker, can fat, middle-aged people have the opportunity to compete...

Lol, I also play poker. There you go.

Also, that silence early in the morning on turn in day. Smoke drifting over the field, aroma of coffee and meat, sound of foil. It's camping with meat, a party, and a competition all at once. I also get to play with expensive toys. :Becky:

What's not to like?

I've seen the topic for a bit but first time I clicked on the thread. I was sure this topic was discussed before and I wasn't interested in it. I was wrong for not checking it out. I learned a few things about some of the new guys and even some of those that have been here for awhile.

I cook because I can no longer hit a baseball like I did at 18, or throw a football, or run a sub 5 forty. My son does all that and I cheer him on every chance I get. However, I am a competitor. I will eat wings faster than you, I will chug a beer faster than you, I will change a tire faster than you. OK, maybe not the tire thing but the other stuff is real. I compete because I'm a competitor and I want to win. And I like to cook BBQ. And I like to eat BBQ. That is all.

For me it's all about the people I compete with & against. Best bunch of folks to be found anywhere. Forrest that always has a huge smile and big handshake. Dana that acts like seeing you is the best part of his day. Rub with his eternal patience to my neverending stupid questions. Tim being a truly awesome friend even when I forget to return his calls. The list goes on and on.

If I get a walk and possibly even a check, that's gravy. It's all about having a great time and sharing it with folks that I consider really good friends.

Russ

How about this twist on the question: Why did you 'start' competing? Why I compete today is not the same reason as why I started in the first place. I started just for the party aspect. I would bring a bottle of tequila/scotch/etc and not bother sleeping or even stop drinking until the bottle was gone. That lasted for about a season. Then I got tired of under performing and feeling like crap. I guess I'm just too old for that **** now. Now, I hope to have a good time but also take it seriously and try to do well.

How about this twist on the question: Why did you 'start' competing? Why I compete today is not the same reason as why I started in the first place. I started just for the party aspect. I would bring a bottle of tequila/scotch/etc and not bother sleeping or even stop drinking until the bottle was gone. That lasted for about a season. Then I got tired of under performing and feeling like crap. I guess I'm just too old for that **** now. Now, I hope to have a good time but also take it seriously and try to do well.

1997 I went to Memphis in may with a Rep from work who took us to visit and tour their facility. I never knew BBQ competition existed… had a great time!!.. the teams were awesome and very nice people. Got somewhat interested in cooking bbq then. Tried a few times a year and just screwed up and got frustrated. My wife told me around 2003, to find a hobby. While drinking beer, cooking ribs to screw them up again, I had decided that this was my hobby, and time to step it up so I could someday compete. Went to Dr. BBQ’s class in 2004. While there, I was quite intimidated by the people with their huge cookers, and I barely knew how to cook anything. Froze my a$$ off overnight, and with ray giving me a rash of crap for my poor turn-in boxes, I decided on the way home to buy a boat instead. But the next day after a good night’s sleep I was fired up to get this BBQ going!!

Beer, meat, fire, sharp objects, good people, whats not to love:thumb::thumb:

Because the two teams that I cooked with before starting my own team basically said I didn't have a pair if I didn't try at least one comp. Who could resist that level of inspiration/shame? :shock:

Success tends to feed on itself, and getting calls tends to keep me going. Also, the early Saturday AM competition rush is addictive!

Not only did I start my own team and had some success, but now I am cooking with another team, and so far it's been a very good year for us.

Back