THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I figured I may as well try to win some $$$ and bragging rights since I was sitting on the deck drinking beer and cooking anyway most weekends.

......and the wimmens :thumb:

It started as a mid-life thing. First I wanted a sports car but quickly realized I couldn’t afford something I’d be satisfied with (topping the list was a 1964 DB5). So I thought maybe a big powerful house boat might be the answer. After a little (very little) arithmetic I realized I couldn’t swing the boat I wanted either. So I decided a young girlfriend was the answer! My wife quietly pointed out that option would cost me as much as the car & boat combined - as well as an appendage I’ve become quite fond of over the years! So naturally that left competition BBQ & here we are. No sports car, no boat, no college cheerleader but at least I can still pee standing up!

Now that's funny rite there. :pound::pound:

For the money. I know, why am I still competing as I have won $0.00 to date.

I have always loved BBQ and trying to perfect it to our liking, and to someone else's liking (judges?).

I am not really a competitive person, but this sport/hobby whatever you want to call it, is just about the most competitor friendly sport I have been involved with. I kinda look at it like golf: one on one against the course and may the best person win!

I think it's great competing against folks that are about 10 feet from you but we can still have a cold one and shoot the schit and then "honestly" congratulate the other at awards. Really, I would be hard pressed to find more down to earth people than this stuff!

Sicker than snot on a door knob!

Oh, also, the wife loves this stuff as well.:mrgreen: BIG bonus.

And honestly, it is cool hearing your team name get called at awards!

wallace

The thrill of the competition, there's nothing like that feeling in your stomach at about 10a when you feel like you own the BBQ world. Also, the great people. I've met some of the best people out at competitions. Real true folks.

I am a very competitive woman. I like the challenge of competing in an activity that by some is largely considered a mans world. I love the planning, scheduling and buying. My internal competition is to see if my scheduling hits the mark and how well I stay on schedule. We've only cooked 3 comps but have made some really nice BBQ friends. I like to jump into things with both feet. Go big or go home! And I love the smell of smoke!

gives me time to spend with my kids creating memories that will last them a lifetime. teaches them character, stamina and how to win and loose well.
having a beer with my brothers under the stars at 4:00am.
sleeping in an easy-up after sleeping indoors all year.
7:00am baby!!!! ;)
the smell of barbeque in the morning!
the high carb meal that i always seem to need when it's all done.
even trying to stay awake while driving home...
i guess the name of my team says it all.

It started as a mid-life thing. First I wanted a sports car but quickly realized I couldn’t afford something I’d be satisfied with (topping the list was a 1964 DB5). So I thought maybe a big powerful house boat might be the answer. After a little (very little) arithmetic I realized I couldn’t swing the boat I wanted either. So I decided a young girlfriend was the answer! My wife quietly pointed out that option would cost me as much as the car & boat combined - as well as an appendage I’ve become quite fond of over the years! So naturally that left competition BBQ & here we are. No sports car, no boat, no college cheerleader but at least I can still pee standing up!

Good Stuff!!!

In what arena, other than poker, can fat, middle-aged people have the opportunity to compete against the very best in the world and actually have the chance to maybe one day become one of the very best in the world?

The answer is Competition Barbeque.

I find that to be about as thrilling an opportunity as there is in this here life!

Because I'm a glutton for punishment.

And cause it's like camping with your good friends, but you usually have better food and beer. :cool:

In what arena, other than poker, can fat, middle-aged people have the opportunity to compete against the very best in the world and actually have the chance to maybe one day become one of the very best in the world?

The answer is Competition Barbeque.

I find that to be about as thrilling an opportunity as there is in this here life!

Well and maybe bowling, billiards, curling and darts :mrgreen:. I can't do any of those though :shock:.

Although I have to point out that poker, bowling, billiards and darts take place indoors in air-conditioned comfort (while curling can technically be done outdoors, when indoors it's usually a little TOO air-conditioned).

Hon, maybe it's not too late to throw the competition budget at poker---

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Back