Wholly Fark is this true!!!

I am keeping a list of people who are keeping lists of list keepers.

EDIT: I am also checking it twice.

Santa - Need SPK 1000 Trailer Mounted next year please:grin:

Well if they can't round up warm bodies in time then the Rep can do 7 boxes per table. I've seen this done. But the organizers are encouraged to find more judges and I've seen them grab people walking by and say would you like free food. We need judges. Very little time to instruct them and they had not planned on judging so have no idea what this is all about.

Organizers have a tough job getting judges. Now what happens when too many CBJ's show up and they ask some to table captain. I've heard that there can be some major yelling and screaming about not getting hteir food. Not a job I want.
I've judged 22 events over the last two seasons and I've never ever seen anyone yelling and screaming about not getting their food.

It seems that when you aren't on THE LIST, you don't get behind the velvet rope.

Don Skip

KCBS2010Banquet012.jpg

Good thing that Sled was on the A list side of the rope. Who are those wantabees behing that rope anyway?
Merl

Well I read through this whole thread, would this be a bad time to mention that my village wants me to organize a cookoff and I am petrified to let them know that while sanctioning can bring in the serious competitors, that it can also become a royal pain in the ass ?

I don't know anyone as of yet in this bbq game that doesn't have good intentions.

Cooks have their perspectives on what judges should be doing or how they should be trained, monitored or "listed".

Promoters have their perspectives on how kcbs involvement should be limited, or how much paperwork should be required to get sanctioning.

kcbs has their perspective on how cooks should realize that if you require more and more accountability, input or control over judges you are taking away some of the "fun" that they like to try and preserve with these contests.

The divide while not insurmountable is illustrated in Myron's rants due to the fact that he's made this his living and "depends" on accountability in judging to make the big bucks. Some "depend" on accountability to get the bragging rights.

I just hope everyone realizes that there are many different perspectives but ultimately I have to educate my village on "just how serious" of a cookoff do you want to have ? How much time, effort and energy do you want to expend ?

Thank god there are still unsanctioned cookoffs and even some "serious" competitors willing to cook in them. Thank god there are kcbs reps still willing to stay involved with a low paying but "fun" sport. Thank god there are promoters that are still willing to raise the funds, sponsors, teams and judges and still put up with the huge amount of work going into sanctioning.

Lots of good ideas here though, so it's been productive. I thought we'd start as simple as possible and try to go unsanctioned. If I knew there was a database and how many judges were around my area it might tilt my decision to dive into the more complicated effort to sanction the event from the beginning. Let me know how this progresses.

I sooo agree with Ford, keep up the complaining and there will be a lot less contests out there. If we have to complain we should try to always have constructive solutions attached to those complaints and try to wear the other persons shoes before we complain.

We know up front that we might drive miles, might win or lose, might get uncertified or certified judges, might get drunk and have fun, might stay sober and end up losing a transmission and having an all around tough weekend. That's the breaks even when you're a serious competitor at this point. All in all it's still a wonderful bbq world.

If we have to complain we should try to always have constructive solutions attached to those complaints and try to wear the other persons shoes before we complain.

I would really like to append that to the stone tablets brought down by Moses.

:biggrin::eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

No aspirin left... there was a run on it lately.

One thing to add to this thread. At the CBJ meeting at the KCBS banquet, Board member and the head of the CBJ's, Ed Roth encouraged organizers to keep list of the judges in their areas to keep track of trends. The conversation was more towards scoring, similar to how they do in FBA.... but in the closing minutes of the meeting in summarizing, he DID encourage organizers to "keep track of their judging pool".

just sayin.. :)

I nearly fell out of my chair.

I nearly fell out of my chair.

Good to see you over here Shelly! Some perspectives from a second year KCBS Organizer:

Promoters have their perspectives on how kcbs involvement should be limited, or how much paperwork should be required to get sanctioning. Honestly, the paperwork for KCBS Sanctioning is pretty easy. You fillout the form, mail your deposit check, then you get assigned Reps who help you every step of the way. There's nothing hard about it, but there is an expense.

I just hope everyone realizes that there are many different perspectives but ultimately I have to educate my village on "just how serious" of a cookoff do you want to have ? How much time, effort and energy do you want to expend? You've got my number. :-D Any time you want to talk with the Village, I'm willing to come along for the ride.

Thank god there are promoters that are still willing to raise the funds, sponsors, teams and judges and still put up with the huge amount of work going into sanctioning. Again, I don't follow you on this. You fill out a form, send in your deposit, and get to it. My experience was very good, and the information and timelines are there. So is the advertising to Teams and Judges on the website. The correspondence with Teams and Judges is what takes the largest amount of work. And once the Contest is underway, the Sanctioning Body oversees the integrity of the competition, enforces the rules for Teams and Judges, then tabulates and prints the scoresheets. I wouldn't dream of having a contest without KCBS Sanctioning. The framework they provide, and the work they do at a contest far outweighs the cost. Plus its tried, true, and trusted by cooks.

I'm considering a contest right now that is unsanctioned. In terms of prize money and invitationals, there's a lot at stake for the winner. So far, the whole affair seems rather disjointed and unorganized, and I can see that trending into the competition and judging itself. I inquired for an info packet with complete rules in early December, and haven't seen it yet. I'm 50/50 on whether I will spend the $1000+ to compete. At this point, I don't have confidence in what my experience has been so far. All I'm saying is if it were KCBS Sanctioned, it would be a no-brainer.

I thought we'd start as simple as possible and try to go unsanctioned. If I knew there was a database and how many judges were around my area it might tilt my decision to dive into the more complicated effort to sanction the event from the beginning. IMO, going unsanctioned means even more work, especially once you know how the whole thing works. You'll start from scratch, and build the wheel from the ground up. KCBS does offer Licensing for first year contests. Check it out - you've got nothing to loose by looking into it.

I can see both sides to this discussion but I think that if you sign up to judge and can't make it YOU are responsible for finding a CBJ as a replacement.

Back