THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skip - Excuse my ignorance, but I re-read your first initial post that started this thread to see if I can better understand your points made.

I am not privy to the information you may have as to where this originated...

I just don't get where you are coming from on this topic beyond the judge who had the one time legit excuse.. :confused:

As I re-read all of the posts, to bring it back full circle, it seems there are two general areas for judges who do not show :

1) Judge has legit reason why they couldn't show... If they don't call in advance, would it be unreasonable for the organizer to inquire after the contest as to why ? If they are given a BS answer, should this organizer be required to blindly accept their application to a future event held and risk a repeat ?

Kind of the "fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame om me" scenario...I think

2) Judge has no legit reason.. and apparently does this often. As noted by another poster, some judges sign up for many contests and then go and judge the ones they want. In this case, do you really believe this is fair to the other KCBS Judges that pay a membership fee to retain their certified status and not get the opportunity to judge events that are closest to them ? Is this fair to the teams who want certified judges ? Is this fair to KCBS repuation who gives these judges their credibility ?

I understand Ford's point in full about it being the organizers responsibility to put on a great event and he is absolutely right that they should be able to determine who judges their contest.

I also think that if KCBS provides the sanctioning and goes to the extent of being the ones who certify judges, they should have some bare minimal mechanism to ensure that the judges whom they have "certified" are upholding at least the bare minimum of showing up on that day and not wasting organizers time and making their job harder at the last minute.

From one of the contests that I helped to judge this year, I recieved an e-mail a couple of weeks before the comp that went something like this:
"Dear BBQ Judge - we are saving your seat at our comp. If you can not make it here PLEASE let us know so that we can replace you. Last year we had a few Judges not show up or call. If you are recieving this e-mail you were not one of those Judges."
I am in favor of that line of thinking.

I've got a question...

What if a judge doesn't show up for a popcorn eating contest?

sonyathomas_popcorn.jpg

From one of the contests that I helped to judge this year, I recieved an e-mail a couple of weeks before the comp that went something like this:
"Dear BBQ Judge - we are saving your seat at our comp. If you can not make it here PLEASE let us know so that we can replace you. Last year we had a few Judges not show up or call. If you are recieving this e-mail you were not one of those Judges."
I am in favor of that line of thinking.

I'd be in favor of something like that too. The only time I've been a "no show" was when we moved across country, and I did let the organizer know in a timely manner.

More than often, I've sent in my judge application and not received a confirmation or a "sorry, we're full." Most times, I've gone anyway and found that I got lost in the shuffle, but was on the judges list. Other times, I've been heartily welcomed even though I wasn't on the list, because of some miscommunications between the judge coordinator and the contact listed in the Bullsheet and they were worrying that they wouldn't have enough judges. In new comps or or older comps with new organizers, understandably, these things can happen.

However, if the organizer hasn't sent a confirmation, how am I to know I'm on the list? If I somehow got on the list without receiving confirmation, and I decided on that particular weekend not to expend the gas and hotel money since it appeared from their silence that I wasn't needed, should that be a strike against me?

I'd be in favor of something like that too. The only time I've been a "no show" was when we moved across country, and I did let the organizer know in a timely manner.

More than often, I've sent in my judge application and not received a confirmation or a "sorry, we're full." Most times, I've gone anyway and found that I got lost in the shuffle, but was on the judges list. Other times, I've been heartily welcomed even though I wasn't on the list, because of some miscommunications between the judge coordinator and the contact listed in the Bullsheet and they were worrying that they wouldn't have enough judges. In new comps or or older comps with new organizers, understandably, these things can happen.

However, if the organizer hasn't sent a confirmation, how am I to know I'm on the list? If I somehow got on the list without receiving confirmation, and I decided on that particular weekend not to expend the gas and hotel money since it appeared from their silence that I wasn't needed, should that be a strike against me?

That's a good point...

Should organizers be responsible for confirming back they received and accepted the judges application or should judge be responsible to reach out to confirm their application was received and accepted ??

everytime i judged, i recieved a letter from the opganizers with last minute details or instructions. I would consider that a confirmation. But nothing at all.. i think there should be at least a final communication before the contest.

if the organizer hasn't sent a confirmation, how am I to know I'm on the list? If I somehow got on the list without receiving confirmation, and I decided on that particular weekend not to expend the gas and hotel money since it appeared from their silence that I wasn't needed, should that be a strike against me?

Good question. The first part of my response is that it most likely won't count against you. Keep in mind that we are talking about judges who repeatedly don't show. What is the statistical probabillity that mulitple times a person would not receive notification and not show even when the person was approved? More importantly what is the statistical probabillity that a person who has missed multiple contests due to lack of communication is going to miss one when he does? I would say fairly high. Keep reading for the reason why.

Another way to look at it, though I can already feel the backlash, and I mean no disrespect, but if you simply send an eMail or send a letter to volunteer and travel very far at your expense without receiving confirmation of that that you are asked, that's bad follow through. From the same token, if you cancel without confirming that you were in fact canceling, that's bad follow through as well.

And here's the reason, beyond statistical variances and beyond follow through: It all comes down to interest, just like I explained re: dating before. If you are interested in judging a contest, then IMHO you will follow through and confirm. If you don't do that, then you are not really interested and might back out even if you are confirmed. That's my point of view, but more importantly than anything else, if you show a statistical liklihood that you will cancel, there's a reason for that, and it's not magic pixie dust.

dmp

That's a good point...

Should organizers be responsible for confirming back they received and accepted the judges application or should judge be responsible to reach out to confirm their application was received and accepted ??

No and No. Requiring actions like this is tedious and all hinged on the need for lists. Drop the list you drop the issue.

No and No. Requiring actions like this is tedious and all hinged on the need for lists. Drop the list you drop the issue.

What Lists ????

I'm talking about a simple e-mail or phone call confirmation.

You don't like confirmations on any reservation you make or invitiation you send ?

Should 150 judges send in applications, with a need for only 50 and all the others show up and get sent home and waste 50% of their weekend ?

just like I explained re: dating before. If you are interested in judging a contest, then IMHO you will follow through and confirm.

Thats not actually a good comparison to your dating analogy. In your dating analogy you said if you missed...no matter what....you weren't interested. So if you use that logic here you would say that if you missed a contest....no matter what....you weren't interested.

Thats extreme.

What Lists ????

I'm talking about a simple e-mail or phone call confirmation.

You don't like confirmations on any reservation you make or invitiation you send ?

Should 150 judges send in applications, with a need for only 50 and all the others show up and get sent home and waste 50% of their weekend ?

I had assumed there was more to your query then which person should confirm. Its been my experience that organizers confirm with the judge. In fact I have never heard an organizer requiring the judge to apply and then confirm their application.

<~~~Is calling KCBS to have his name removed from the database of judges. Also asking how my info can be protected so that unautorized use can be minimized.

EDIT: SCORE!!! Anyone else looking to stay off this list just needs to ask the KCBS to remove their name from the website. Easy peasy and I can still judge. They will explain how. Better yet I won't be on the list.

Dude you are on the internet. It's to late.

Back