Whats your favorite rub you buy/dont make

The only rub I buy is for brisket. The Slab's Wow Up Your Cow. I just haven't been able to make a rub that I like as much.

Last edited:
I've heard rave reviews about all the "simply marvelous" rubs, but, it looks costly. I buy "buttrub" at my local grocer for $9.99 for 26 ounces. The simply marvelous is $12 for 12 ounces - ouch. Yes, the deal gets better when you buy 5lbs. at a time. I'd certainly like to taste it, but it's just a little out of my price range. I've fed several groups of people with this buttrub.... and they continuously ask "When are you firing up your smoker again? I want some more!"
www.buttrub.com

+1 I really like bad byrons Its what I keep around when I dont want to do my own.

Recently bought and tried BigMistas pork rub on a nice butt.....came out real good.

Also add me to the SM sweet and cherry rubs, especially on ribs.

I've heard rave reviews about all the "simply marvelous" rubs, but, it looks costly. I buy "buttrub" at my local grocer for $9.99 for 26 ounces. The simply marvelous is $12 for 12 ounces - ouch. Yes, the deal gets better when you buy 5lbs. at a time. I'd certainly like to taste it, but it's just a little out of my price range. I've fed several groups of people with this buttrub.... and they continuously ask "When are you firing up your smoker again? I want some more!"
www.buttrub.com

You serious? You actually pay for that stuff? If you paid ME to use it I wouldn't. Worst rub ever

While all these rubs mentioned are great, special really, I would like to put in a word for good-ol' salt and pepper. An awful lot of good BBQ got made with just these two basic ingredients.

# 1 in my kitchen right now is SM Cherry. I buy it in 5 pound lots and put it on, oh, EVERYTHING...
When I want to change up -
Plowboys Yardbird for Chicken or SM Spicy Apple
Plowboys Bovine Bold for anything beef.
Steak is only salt and pepper.

Just curious, what is it about it that you do not like?

Its the saltiest stuff ever. looks terrible when cooked on meat.cheap tasting crap, you get what you pay for Id gladly pay ten times more for simply marvelous.they had it here major grocery chain ,it didnt last long before they stopped selling it. I returned mine

I like 'Simply Marvelous' rubs. :thumb:
BUT... I've got a shelf covered in different rubs. Some great, some I should probably throw out. (Don't get in a hurry to throw out rubs...
I've found some that mix well with others.)

Simply Marvelous and Plowboys are two of my favorites.

For folks watching their sodium intake I've found McCormick low sodium Montreal steak and chicken seasoning to be a fine "quick fix" rub. The chicken is really good on chicken and pork, and the steak is great on brisket, chuckies, and all other beef parts.

But it is true, most of the commercially available rubs contain way too much salt for my tastes and my blood pressure.

lawry's.jpg

Been using this for years haven't let me down yet, it cheap and easy to find

I can't get enough Plowboy's Bovine Bold. I ran out and made a trip out to the KC BBQ Store and bought some of that plus a bottle of Yardbird. I'm excited to try it too!

Back