Weber smokefire gen 2

I am selling a YS640. I bought it for my brother when I initially bought it and it didn't work out to get it to him, so I kept it. I didn't really need it when I bought it, but I didn't want to pass on it either. Now one of my buddies wants to buy it and I like trying new smokers. My biggest problem with all the pellet smokers I have tried is the radiant heat from the grease tray. That's why I have been interested in the smokefire since it came out.

I'd never in a million years consider getting rid of a YS640 for a Weber Smokefire EX.

Last October I got a gen 2 ex4. All I can says it was consistently inconsistent. I got tired of dealing with customer service. So when I had to fill the pellet hopper with water to put out the fire due too. The pellets burning up the auger into the pellet hopper. The smoke fire expert from Weber's customer service. Could not answer my question as to why I was having so many problems. I went ahead and traded it back in for a new Genesis E435 Gasser. So now the wife can grill during the week. I can smoke and grill on my Lang Patio 36 and 26" kettle on the weekends when I have time. Well at least momma is happy now!

I had an FEC 120 and a pre-order Gen 1 Smokefire. I did not have anywhere near the problems people were hysterical about early on, and everyone was quick to follow BabyBack Maniac into the abyss of fear, uncertainty and doubt. I found the flavor to come off my Smokefire to be far better than my FEC 120 and better than my new YS1500. I believe the problems people had were (generally) due to poor cleaning and inattention the grease management.

I did have a couple of issues with auger jams, but I wasn’t managing my pellets very well, nor did I clean as often as any pellet grill should be cleaned. That’s not to say that the Smokefire is/was perfect.

Weber customer service was beyond amazing. I did replace my auger and added an insert into my hopper, and all was well. I sold it when I moved and wouldn’t buy another. I don’t think the build quality of Weber products is great, despite the general consensus.

These are just my opinions. I have new Yoder, despite my own criticism of that brand and problems I’ve personally had with their products. I think my opinion, and others should be taken for what they are, and you should do what works for you.

Back