Weber smokefire second generation

I think it’s the same grill with all the updates that most 1st gen users already have but pre-installed. Hopper insert, welded auger chute and firmware updates. The rollout was rough, but a lot of the problems were firmware. The biggest hardware issue is still the finger guard right over the chute opening. It’s design does make it hang up pellets being so low in the hopper. However, I haven’t seen a pellet grill without one from the factory in 5 plus years. Most are midway to high in the hopper so they don’t cause pellets to bridge. It’s usually the first thing I ‘mod’.

My take on 2nd Gen is another excuse to wipe the negative reviews and start over again. At some point they just need to go Recteq and moderate their reviews if they are going to keep doing this.

I still think the SmokeFire is the best bang for the buck on an all around pellet grill, but pellet grills don’t get a lot of love here.

I also noticed that the EX4 is now available with the larger EX6 pellet hopper. For those extra long cooks.

Back