Weber Smokefire Gen 2

mcyork28

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Has anybody purchased a gen 2 Smokefire recently? Did they ever fix the problems they were having with the gen 1 units?

I had one of the early gen ones and made some good food with it but also had some issues as well and ended up sending it back.

I've had an EX6 gen 2 since December of 2020. Replaced the auger/motor assembly about a year ago, the cotter pin sheared off. I clean out the barrel about every 4-6 months. I removed the finger guard upon assembling the unit. I have all the software/firmware updates done. I replaced the glow plug about a year ago. I've had maybe 2 flameouts that were my fault over the last 2 years.
I get excellent results from smoking, grilling and searing. I've done briskets at least a dozen times, steaks about twice a month. Pizzas, baked beans and other stuff I just don't remember. I installed a concrete vibrator on the back side of the pellet hopper to shake the pellets every 30 minutes. I never have a problem of pellet bridging or feeding. I fabricated a folding front table that actually holds things.
You should get another. There is a little learning curve to begin with, just like any other new grill or cooker.
This video is of my mod on the pellet hopper

https://youtu.be/pSx6SQ0s9aI

Interesting Mod. It's really an issue though that you have to make a mod like that in the first place.

Back