Wagyu...brisket of course....

We cooked Wagyu the majority of our events, 5 First Place, 3 Second Place, 2 Third Place, 3 Top 10 and the lowest we scored was 17th at Whistler BC and 31st at the Jack.
2 of the First Place were CAB. Only reason we cooked the Kobe was I was getting it cheaper than CAB.

Butcher BBQ Brisket Marinade and Prime Dust took our scores from the cellar to stellar with whatever we cooked!

KCBSneeds to pull heads out of ass? I beg to differ. The cut is not recognized in US. The small percentage, if we even register ad a percentage you really think the Pork Board is going to change? Why don't BBQ cooks take their heads out of their asses and quite cheating, yes it was cheating and learn how to cook the 3 recognized meats that KCBS allows? Teams need to quit trying to find an easy way to cook BBQ and learn how to cook it. If you (not you personally) don't like the rules, go cook IBCA and you wont gave to worry about cooking pork. Otherwise I am tired of hearing this crap. Accept the rules as they break written. Board has ruled and they once again gave the 3 cuts that are allowed. No matter how folks want to defend it, the pork collar is not a butt. It is loin, of white pork meat that is surrounded by dark meat. Illegal!

I have a feeling the CT Butts/pork collar trim will get some revamping to appeal to the consumers and the KCBS board will have to pull their heads out of their a$$es and recognize that.

I'll be paying more than last season for Wagyu, but my butchers got some beautiful Oregon Country Natural brisket flats that are calling my name....
http://www.countrynaturalbeef.com/

We have cooked with both Wagyu and the RD Angus, and done well with both. I prefer the taste of the Waygu, and I tend to end up with better cuts from SRF, even though I can pick through the stuff at RD.

That said, I find the new $80 shipping for the 17+ pound brisket shocking :shocked:, and I don't see us buying any more of those.

That said, I find the new $80 shipping for the 17+ pound brisket shocking :shocked:, and I don't see us buying any more of those.

Couldn't agree with you more. They need to understand that if i pay them nearly $200 for the brisket, by the time I use injection, rub, etc. I'd have to place 3rd or higher to see any return in what I've spent just on the meat. I know it's not about the money, and there's no point in trying to make a living off competition winnings alone, but that's just an outrageous cost.

I'm all about wagyu, and every brisket we got from SRF was of outstanding quality. However, I feel they are taking advantage of an area of their service that will not stand for being taken advantage of. I'm just gonna ask everyone I know not to buy from SRF until they drop the ridiculous shipping price to something reasonable. I know for a fact that it does not cost them that much to ship me a brisket, regardless of poundage.

KCBSneeds to pull heads out of ass? I beg to differ. The cut is not recognized in US. The small percentage, if we even register ad a percentage you really think the Pork Board is going to change? Why don't BBQ cooks take their heads out of their asses and quite cheating, yes it was cheating and learn how to cook the 3 recognized meats that KCBS allows? Teams need to quit trying to find an easy way to cook BBQ and learn how to cook it. If you (not you personally) don't like the rules, go cook IBCA and you wont gave to worry about cooking pork. Otherwise I am tired of hearing this crap. Accept the rules as they break written. Board has ruled and they once again gave the 3 cuts that are allowed. No matter how folks want to defend it, the pork collar is not a butt. It is loin, of white pork meat that is surrounded by dark meat. Illegal!

You are exactly right, and to me, it's all about the ability to cook what's accepted to the best of your ability. Ron Harwell (kcbs rep) talked at a recent judging class about how there is probably going to be some inspection changes due to the increased # of teams trying to sneak pork collars on the smoker. I hate that a few are going to make it tougher on all of us, the last thing I need during a competition is to be put through the ringer about what cut of pork I'm cooking. I've never understood how someone can sleep at night knowing that they won anything by cheating.

Just to make sure I'm clear.....You're ok buying a new pellet popper or ceramic cooker with the latest guru or stoker to cook your meat, but you demand strict tradition in the cuts of meat approved for cooking?

I like the collar trim butt. At 4.5lbs a piece, I can cook 6 of them in the same amount of space that I can cook 4 avg. boneless shoulders. I also like that I get more surface area of bark vs. typical butts and I can buy them for around $20 in Birkshire. I happen to believe that the CT butt is a true butt - or at least a smller section of the true butt. It's certainly as traditional as your pellet popper :becky:

The problem they have is their weight. At 4.5lbs they're short of minimum which makes them illegal today in KCBS.

Just to make sure I'm clear.....You're ok buying a new pellet popper or ceramic cooker with the latest guru or stoker to cook your meat, but you demand strict tradition in the cuts of meat approved for cooking?

I like the collar trim butt. At 4.5lbs a piece, I can cook 6 of them in the same amount of space that I can cook 4 avg. boneless shoulders. I also like that I get more surface area of bark vs. typical butts and I can buy them for around $20 in Birkshire. I happen to believe that the CT butt is a true butt - or at least a smller section of the true butt. It's certainly as traditional as your pellet popper :becky:

The problem they have is their weight. At 4.5lbs they're short of minimum which makes them illegal today in KCBS.

Thats not correct, in the recent BOD meeting the adopted the same description of what a whole pork shoulder, picnic, and pork butt is in accordance with the National Pork Council. The pork collar is NOT in that description. So the size means nothing anymore. The muscles that were being left on for that cut is what the real problem not just the size.

2010... Three firsts, three seconds and four thirds in brisket... all of them Waygu and cooked only ONE brisket each time out.

Difference... the things you mention are legal. Pork collar is not.

Sometimes responses just aren't even worth the time Jeff. If folks like to keep blinders on and feel they can cheat, so be it. Pellets have been legal for over 10 years and I guarantee you as long as the KCBS President is a pellethead, nothing will be changing. But if folks want to think I am cheating g, so be it. It's not like its the only pits I have are pellet.....

It's certainly as traditional as your pellet popper :becky:

:hand:Where in his post did he talk about tradition ? He was talking about the rules. He's not cheating using a guru or pellet pooper but anyone who cooked or is planning to cook a pork collar in a kcbs contest is a cheat.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBQ
Due to the drastic increase in Snake River Farm's price they require for a decent sized brisket, I was wondering if any of you that cook with them could tell me a better place to get wagyu briskets. As is, I would be paying almost $200 per 17lb brisket if I continue to buy from SRF. I'd rather not pay that much if at all possible....it's somewhat ridiculous. Thanks.

Hear is the question if anyone cannot remember!!

I think that poor pork collar has been beaten severely by now :clap2:

Heck yeah... SRF has to make up for the loss of sales in pork collar, so the folks that buy briskets are going to pay. Simple economics... ;)

Hear is the question if anyone cannot remember!!

I think that poor pork collar has been beaten severely by now :clap2:

How did this go from a brisket thread to a pork collar thread to a tradition questioning thread in the matter of a few posts? Freaky!

On topic...I plan to use the best brisket I can find locally...

Talk to your former teammate ....

I'll stick with CAB or prime. Wont pay shipping. No sense when the majority of contests you are lucky to recoup and money spent on mail order wagyu.

,ot sure exactly what point swamprb is trying to make...but I know for a fact that we (Brian and I) never cooked any pork butts under 5 lbs...the only Berkshire butts we cooked were labled as such and were over 5 lbs...and it was for only one comp...after that we changed meat suppliers. Our PNWBA judges inspected our meats before each and every comp to ensure we were in compliance with the rules. As I was the "pork" guy...I guarandamntee you we were playing by the rules...
JD

To see the new shipping, you have to pick each product and start the checkout process. Shipping to RI it shapes up like this:

11-14 pound brisket: $70 + $55 shipping
14-17 pound brisket: $80 + $60 shipping
17+ pound brisket: $95 + $80 shipping

Last year I was paying $88 for 17 pound briskets delivered.

Thats not correct, in the recent BOD meeting the adopted the same description of what a whole pork shoulder, picnic, and pork butt is in accordance with the National Pork Council. The pork collar is NOT in that description. So the size means nothing anymore. The muscles that were being left on for that cut is what the real problem not just the size.

Agree it's not in the formal description - my point is that it should be.

Back