Tips for first Wagyu brisket?

3Cases

Knows what a fatty is.
I’ve done probably 30 or so briskets over the past few years on my Kat 36x24 reverse flow smoker. Half of them were prime & the others choice. I will be doing a 14 pound Wagyu over the Fourth of July and was wondering if I should change my technique at all?

First thing in the morning I’ll pull the brisket from the fridge and set it on the counter while I start the fire. While the smoker is coming up to temp I trim the brisket leaving a quarter inch of fat on the bottom and smoothing out any protruding edges. I use Cooper’s old time seasoning, from Llano Texas, which is the place where I first had Texas brisket several years ago. Once the fire is going I add a log every 45 minutes and it will hold at 250° all day long. Brisket seems to cook a little faster on the Kat at 250° than it did on my Traeger or WSM. Typically about 40 minutes per pound. When I first got the smoker I would fiddle with it constantly trying to get the temp down around 200° but I finally just let it do what it wants and it produces perfect smoke at 250° with no effort, so that’s where I always cook at now. I normally wrap loosely with butcher paper when the bark looks well developed, normally about 75% through the cook. I start to check to see if it is probe tender around 190° and once it is probe tender I pull it and let it rest on the counter for about 30 minutes, and then close it in a cooler for an hour or so, depending on when we will be eating.

For those of you familiar with Wagyu do you see any need to change anything I’m doing? Should I expect a longer or shorter cook time because of the higher fat content? Should I mess with the smoker this week and see if I can get good smoke at a lower temp or just go with it at 250°? Any input is greatly appreciated as I am trying to not screw up this expensive cut of meat!

I've cooked a couple wagus from costco. I didn't change anything or notice anything different except both times they were jiggly goodness before hitting 200 deg. Definitely start probing by 195 I'd say. Your method is basically spot on to what I do as well.

Coopers is good stuff. We have one local. I really like their old time seasoning lighly dusted on quail as well.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

I would suggest just trusting your process and do everything exactly the same. Every brisket is different, so this is just another different brisket. Trust your probe and enjoy some good eats.

I don't cook a ton of them but have found them to "probe tender" before they're fully rendered, guessing due to more fat marbling or something...so I usually do probe tender +30 or 60 minutes.

Back