vending at a festival - your opinions please

I made this post a few days ago because something they said jogged my memory.

When I first sold BBQ it was Ribs only. At fairs and festivals or at busy areas where people would grab something and go. I did it in an old hotdog cart. I mean old.

Anyway, you got me to thinking.

I sometimes I think I made more profit... but I had not discovered the smoked-deep fried rib yet. Anyway.
$%28KGrHqJ,%21iYE7S%28u0t5SBPGft2oIpw%7E%7E60_35.JPG

Foil Lined food bag - like chick fil a comes in.;

last time i did this was maybe 2005. I used those foil lined envelopes. In each one was.... 2 spares ribs for 3 bucks. Later I also made chicken legs... I think 2 for 2 bbq legs. Simple. And what I remembered was once it was all packed... they each stayed warm and since they were all packed together they just continued to steam in those packs...

Simple as pie. I must have saved a fortune on gloves... LOL as once they were packed, you could just collect the money and pass the envelope... OH YEAH!!!!!!! I did corn too... chopped, stuck with skwer, each envelope had some rub, a pat of butter flavocal and pepper. (and a little scoop of that fake popcorn lard.) We would pull them from the water at just before done (they already had the stick in them) pop them in a bag, let them sit a few minutes for the stuff to melt and shake them up and pack them.

God that was simple. I had to go ruin it all and make sides and brisket and butts. LOL

i eventually served pork sandwiches ... in wax paper though, using self serve squirt bottles for sauces....

i never sold bbq plates unless my vending area was obviously next to a dinning area the customer could see easily.

I made this post a few days ago because something they said jogged my memory.

When I first sold BBQ it was Ribs only. At fairs and festivals or at busy areas where people would grab something and go. I did it in an old hotdog cart. I mean old.

Anyway, you got me to thinking.

I sometimes I think I made more profit... but I had not discovered the smoked-deep fried rib yet. Anyway.
$%28KGrHqJ,%21iYE7S%28u0t5SBPGft2oIpw%7E%7E60_35.JPG

Foil Lined food bag - like chick fil a comes in.;

last time i did this was maybe 2005. I used those foil lined envelopes. In each one was.... 2 spares ribs for 3 bucks. Later I also made chicken legs... I think 2 for 2 bbq legs. Simple. And what I remembered was once it was all packed... they each stayed warm and since they were all packed together they just continued to steam in those packs...

Simple as pie. I must have saved a fortune on gloves... LOL as once they were packed, you could just collect the money and pass the envelope... OH YEAH!!!!!!! I did corn too... chopped, stuck with skwer, each envelope had some rub, a pat of butter flavocal and pepper. (and a little scoop of that fake popcorn lard.) We would pull them from the water at just before done (they already had the stick in them) pop them in a bag, let them sit a few minutes for the stuff to melt and shake them up and pack them.

God that was simple. I had to go ruin it all and make sides and brisket and butts. LOL

i eventually served pork sandwiches ... in wax paper though, using self serve squirt bottles for sauces....

i never sold bbq plates unless my vending area was obviously next to a dinning area the customer could see easily.

Thanks!!! We are still far enough away to maybe try some of those foil lined bags!!

I buy the sandwich wraper 12x12 and wrap pulled sandwichs. 4oz pot salad allready made in a cooler, same with beans. soda, water. Chips. If they say 5000 I might make for 1500 call it a day. I always want to sale out then have to pack it all back into the house and eat it for dinner for 3 days. man that sucks.

Thought about that too! I have a niece that works at a bar - thinking about asking her if I have any left over would they buy some from me. Have another niece that runs a vegie stand all year long - thinking about asking her the same thing.

Your pit with a small hickory fire smell great and peole will be drawn to it. If a fire is not allowed they will get a wiff of the pit as they pass by. My yard man sits by my oit half the time he is here to mow

That was one of my first questions - can I cook at the event - bbq smoke will hopefully draw them in - and even if not really cooking just the aroma should help.

Back