Up with the dawn, and.....

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
....pushed the button. 12# packer trim and seasoned with Oakridge SPOGOS. Only supposed to be 98° today. That's almost fall chill here lately..
Post Oak Pellets
Pit Boss Austin XL
Brisket 21 day dry aged by processor then in my beer fridge 7 days

Last edited:
Bride exited stage right to go eat with a friend and shoe shop. Therefore, I continue with a St Louis rack of spares. Buttons already pushed, pellets continue to drop

Last edited:
Bad News:
Brisket
Appearance 8/10
Texture 8/10
Taste 3/10 arggggh

Looked good, felt good---taste was about a nano measure from really good roast. Brisket texture but needs help on taste.

Good News
I don't eat that much "barbecue" brisket. This is gonna be just fine seasoned up in soups, stew, chili, chop house burgers, brisket Mac all those things. Another positive it was 100% keeper. No dry outs, no jerky. Appearance and Texture really fooled my taste buds.

Pilot error I'm sure. I even took a tablespoon of tallow and in a blind taste test probably would've guessed olive oil. That might be a stretch, but emphasizes my miss. Not gonna call it a fail, but this brisket right here is why I don't order brisket out.

Last edited:
That explains why a lot of your briskets end up in some sort of Chile, Chili, and Chilly. You should start making a rub out of ground Fritos.

Maybe I should branch out...and try something besides salt and pepper for mine-or not. I can't imagine me grading your brisket taste as 3/10...but we are harsh on ourselves. Big fan of the oven finish...sure I could finish on the drum -it holds temp probably better than my oven- it's just not as convenient. Have not done a full foil wrap since I saw the way of the foil boat finish.

Did a packer yesterday- thought we were having grandkids all weekend. NOPE- the mom picked them up hours before it was done. So- I will be food saving some- and brisket <fill in the blank> with the rest. (I don't do much sliced either)

Maybe I should branch out...and try something besides salt and pepper for mine-or not. I can't imagine me grading your brisket taste as 3/10...but we are harsh on ourselves. Big fan of the oven finish...sure I could finish on the drum -it holds temp probably better than my oven- it's just not as convenient. Have not done a full foil wrap since I saw the way of the foil boat finish.

Did a packer yesterday- thought we were having grandkids all weekend. NOPE- the mom picked them up hours before it was done. So- I will be food saving some- and brisket <fill in the blank> with the rest. (I don't do much sliced either)

Chopped up and used in lasagna is great. Problem is it's The Bride and I. It's really hard for me to scale back a smoke for two. Grilling for two is easy. Smoking not so much.

My son sent me a photo of his Friday night Family dinner. It was a take out from a famous Texas BBQ restaurant. Brisket, Mac, Greens, Texas Twinkies and corn along with the onions, pickles etc. I thought that was so cool. Then the Dad Cook part slammed me. I would've loved to have cooked that for them.

Time marches on

Last edited:
I smoked some tri tips last weekend...pretty good, as good as a well smoked brisket and I'm not left with so much leftover.
I'm priced out of brisket anyhow so though tri tip is not some off the wall economical venture...brisket remains off the menu.
The Santa Maria gets the call 98% of the time anyhow.

-D

OUCH! I hate when things like that happen.

Back