Anyone in the UK know of a cheap source of stainless steel expanded metal?

I am getting silly, silly prices from all builders merchants I have called :mad2:

Have you not considered using a washing machine drum? It's all pretty much done for you then. Mine cost £5 (should be able to pick one up for less than a tenner). Drilled a few holes in the bottom for the ash to fall, but other than that it's good to go.

Have you not considered using a washing machine drum? It's all pretty much done for you then. Mine cost £5 (should be able to pick one up for less than a tenner). Drilled a few holes in the bottom for the ash to fall, but other than that it's good to go.

Will have a look near my local scrapyard. Nothing loose by trying it.

Will have a look near my local scrapyard. Nothing loose by trying it.

Or jump on free cycle - fair few old washing machines on there.
EBay actually have them under the BBQ section.
Only mod I did to mine was drill 1" holes in the bottom and add a handle from a cheap bucket.

Good luck!

Just got my drum back from getting powder coated. Looks great. Holes go in it tomorrow. Would have preferred to do the holes first and powder coating second, but the timing had to work this way.

20140802_171845_zps42wapm7j.jpg

Here you go. Pick your size. I think the 3" is perfect.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=river%20country%20thermometer&sprefix=river+country%2Caps%2C202&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Ariver%20country%20thermometer"]Amazon.com: river country thermometer@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/619Nwpz5W-L.@@AMEPARAM@@619Nwpz5W-L[/ame]

question

just finished building a new UDS. painted black and gold with the Steelers logo on the front came out pretty cool. I'm enjoying building these things. But I don't need to have more than one.I have some friends are looking for them but I don't know what to charge them.I painted it with two coats of engine primer in high gloss black barbecue grill paint along with VHT paint on logo. To risers with valves. Any thoughts I think I cook better than a WSM. and they cost $399. But I think they have a ceramic coating. Any thoughts?
Hope I'm not breaking any forum rules by my asking. Honestly into it for about 150 with new grate and fire bucket materials.

Those with flat-lids that have threaded bungs...

I am having trouble finding threaded pipe to go in the larger of the two bungs. I didn't measure it, yet, but I think it is 2 1/4". I took the threaded stopper up to Lowe's and couldn't find anything close to that size. Ideally, I'd get a 2 1/4" pipe nipple, add a 90-degree elbow to it, then get a plug.

Where do I go for this?

*Not interested in drilling additional holes in the lid and I'm not interested in a domed lid, either.

Those with flat-lids that have threaded bungs...

I am having trouble finding threaded pipe to go in the larger of the two bungs. I didn't measure it, yet, but I think it is 2 1/4". I took the threaded stopper up to Lowe's and couldn't find anything close to that size. Ideally, I'd get a 2 1/4" pipe nipple, add a 90-degree elbow to it, then get a plug.

Where do I go for this?

*Not interested in drilling additional holes in the lid and I'm not interested in a domed lid, either.

Most are 2".....did you check it to see if 2" fits?

Most are 2".....did you check it to see if 2" fits?

I didn't even find 2", I don't believe. I can't remember the exact sizes I was looking at, but I was holding the threaded stopper in my hand and didn't find anything that was the same size as it. Any threaded pipe that they had was much smaller.

Pipe is measured and described by the inner diameter, there for a piece of 2" pipe measures 2.250" on the outside.

Well, 2", then. Like I said, I didn't measure it specifically, but brought the threaded plug up there so that I could get an exact fit. I didn't find any pipe that matched the size of the plug that I took directly out of the drum lid.

Or with the electrical conduit. There is such a thing as rigid steel, I think it starts around 2" and goes up.

Back