I am currently building my first UDS. I live in the UK and am struggling to find steel nipples at any of my local hardware stores.

Would using brass nipples be a problem?

Thanks

Hi Tim. I picked up all my valves and nipples from 'tool station' (there is one close by but delivery is free over £10).
I purchased three 3/4 brass nipples, 3 3/4 caps and 3 3/4 back nuts which will all fit neatly into my drum. The ball valve (22mm) was also purchased here for around £5 (full bore and stainless steel). That shop had pretty much everything I needed.

Struggling (at the moment) to find large washers (possibly M27?) to fit around the nipples. I think they use conduit washers in the US, but haven't seen similar here yet.
Once I start constructing it (carried out the burn this weekend) I'll post up pics.

Chugging along - I'm currently up to page 125 (post 1861) and aim to read this whole thing.

So I went and grabbed 2 drums, a bunch of fittings, and am learning as I go. Thanks to Norcoredneck, n8man, bigmista, dr_KY, swamprb, JD McGee, and so many others for tips, rationality, explanations, and dimensions. This is an awesome thread

Tim, I don't know about over there but over here brass can have lead in it - up to 8%.

I actually think the big Tesco in Raines Park sells black iron pipe and fittings. I know the hardware store in Kingston Upon Thames does - down the hill from Norbiton Station/across from Asda - or at least they did a couple years ago.

I sure miss how EVERYTHING can be delivered in London. Really miss that.

My £0.02 (can I still feed the birds with that?)

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies guys :thumb:

I will be calling tool station tomorrow, please have everything in stock :pray:

I ordered 2 (400ml) can sof Rustoloum stove & BBQ paint. Don't you just love amazon prime, should be here in the morning.

I have sanded the outside of the drum down to raw steel. it's been a few days and it's getting a tinge of brown (rust) on it. I shall sand that in the morning.

Do I simply get a rag, clean it with some kind of degreaser then spray on the paint? Do I need a high temp primer or can I skip this? I presume as I want a shiny finish, I will get normal gloss black spray paint and paint over it then possibly a clear coat.

I was fortunate to purchase a brand new Weber 22 1/2" kettle grill yesterday for only £50. Lid fits on well.

Only issue I am having is the inside of the drum. It was a food grade drum. The liner was a light pink. I done two burns, 1st one was a wood pallet with no air intake hole at the bottom. The second was another pallet with 3 x 1" air intake holes.

The liner has pretty much disappeared, but sanding the inside is a royal PITA! I spoke to a few companies that provide sand blasting, got crazy quotes of £80+ ($136+). I presume I should sand it to remove rust and any residue form the liner. I have a jumbo wire brush coming tomorrow, so I maybe spending a few hours giving my arms a good work out sanding! if that fails, I will jus oil the drum and carry on...

I shall post some pics tomorrow :thumb:

I am currently building my first UDS. I live in the UK and am struggling to find steel nipples at any of my local hardware stores.

Would using brass nipples be a problem?

Thanks
steel nipples will rust if you do not keep them oiled. IMHO Brass is a better nipple (and cap), but cost more. The nipples are below the fire and do not get hot - they barely get warm. I have used PVC fittings on the outside of the nipple without heat issues.

That said, Others have just used flexible magnets (refrigerator magnets usually given away free because they contain a companies contact information). Hard to get cheeper than free - plus you don't have to worry about the ball valve either. They might have a little higher learning curve on adjusting temp - but that is probably the only drawback.

Slide Intake

Here is what I currently use and make. I use 1/16 aluminum for the plate with some 1/2 w x 1/16 t for a gasket around 3 sides so the slider has a place to slide. For the slider I use something thinner than 1/16.

Attachments

• Slide Intake 1.jpg
    Slide Intake 1.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 629
  • Slide Intake 2.jpg
    Slide Intake 2.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 626
  • Slide Intake 3.jpg
    Slide Intake 3.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 626
Temp control: My UDS is seasoning right now and I have noticed spikes in temp. Seems like every time the smoke picks up the temp spikes. I assume the hot coals have made it to one of the wood chunks which is causing the smoke to pick up.
Reckon the wood is just burning that hot to cause the spike in temp? I watched it one time go up 50 degrees in less than a min. That's with one 3/4 ball valve open and with three 3/4 exhaust pipes open.

Now I haven't purchased a thermometer yet. Plan on going digital and still looking. Watching the temp right now with my deep fryer thermometer.

Thoughts?

Is it windy? With 4 intakes open, you should be running well over 300 degrees. I'd suspect to see a big spike with a gust of wind, considering all the intakes are open.

Only one intake is open. All of the exhaust are open. Not windy.

I'm using mesquite chunks which I normally don't smoke with. Normally use hickory but had some old mesquite in the shop and figured I would use it to season the UDS with.

Does mesquite just burn that much hotter?

thanks guys, I found the big papa ones after my above post but buy the time they get to me up here in canada they will be quite expensive. I will have more into the vents than the whole rest of the smoker. LOL.
I like your idea coachmccoy. Looks easy to make.
Anyone try the pie plate on the bottom of the drum for intake air. Basicly similar to the exhaust vent on the weber lid but bigger. Wonder how efficient that would be.

EDIT:
Just found the link below. This is what I am talking about. seems to work good according to the post. I have 2 stainless pieplates coming from amazon.ca so I will give it a try and let you guys know. I seem to get some water/condensation in the bottom of my drum after a cook so maybe this will be an easy wat to empty it instead of going through the top of the drum. The legs(bolts) from the charcoal basket to the ash pan will have to go through the ash pan buy a couple inches to keep it off the bottom of the drum so air can flow into the drum. Should work
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82554

Last edited:
Looks like the temps have settled down here the last two hrs. They were up and down the first two hrs but nothing that would hurt a cook. Since then the UDS has held steady at 275 with no adjustments. Wish I could stay up all night and watch it. Will check it in the morning to see if its still holding any temp. Started it at 7:00 this evening. Will get up at 6:00 in the morning to check it before work.

Looks like the temps have settled down here the last two hrs. They were up and down the first two hrs but nothing that would hurt a cook. Since then the UDS has held steady at 275 with no adjustments. Wish I could stay up all night and watch it. Will check it in the morning to see if its still holding any temp. Started it at 7:00 this evening. Will get up at 6:00 in the morning to check it before work.

How long of burn did you do. Make sure your lid is on tight.

How long of burn did you do. Make sure your lid is on tight.

Lid is good. Started it at 6:30 yesterday evening. Took probably 2 hrs to get the temp regulated. After that it ran like a caddy. Got up at midnight and it was still holding at 275. At 6:30 this morning it was down to 200.

The basket I used is small. 12" tall but only 8" wide. Going to do another test run today before doing any cooking on it.

Back