Google some stuff on cooler stereo/radio. Aquatic audio has these ready made. Tons of info out there on them.

I have seen them before, but best I can tell, they don't hold beer. No mention on their site and only one picture that alludes to it with the Yeti.

The closest to what I built is from http://www.icechestradios.net/default.asp. Pricey, though, and no rear speakers, which are an absolute necessity when floating the river.

Besides, this is the Ugly Drum Smoker thread. Who wants ready made?

:wink:

Finally got around to giving my Big Poppa Smoker UDS a formal paint job.

IMAG0710-579x1024.jpg

IMAG0707-579x1024.jpg

IMAG0708-579x1024.jpg

I wanted to post a few pictures of my uds that I have been working on. I know a UDS is suppose to be quick, dirty and cheap. That is just not in my blood to do. I first got the idea from a plan online posted by Popular Science.

The barrel is an unline Trick Racing fuel drum. The only downside the lid was crimped on. No biggie I have tools and ground off the lip. I found a 22.5" Weber on CL for the lid and the cooking grate.

I didn't like the way the lid sat on the drum, just was just a hair smaller in diameter to fit well. So, I took a strip of 1" x **1/8" flat stock and spot welded along the inside.

I really liked the vents extended up towards the top of the drum. But what I really like was the electrical conduit hanger idea. This makes is look really clean.

I wasn't too keen on just setting the drum on a set of fire bricks so I built a stand. I got the idea from malibuskier, but with a few minor modifications.

I took it to a local powder coating company and had them blast it inside and out. I was first going to use high temp engine paint, but the rattle can look just didn't sit well with me. So I opted for a quart of Rustoleum glossy black and shoot it through my gravity HVLP spray gun, let's hope it keeps up with the temperatures. Mounted up a couple of planks of oak, put on a little stain and then topped it off with spar varnish.

Nice rig! Got a question here about using some scrap conduit pipe for intake? Would this be OK, I would weld it up. Got my drum and a weber lid to start rock in and Rollin! My first time posting cause I'm tired of reading. This forum rocks!
Cory

Back