THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its the cook not the cooker.

It's the crowd, not the cook....

243knc8.jpg

I'm in the WOW camp, but I also love the drums-so I can't wait for pics of your Mega loaded to the gills!

WOW! The wow factor here is that I sure did not expect 28 responses in less than 12 hours, but I appreciate every one of them.

Regarding the question can I feed 200 out of a drum?; well, out of the Mega I am supposed to have a 20 butt capcity. I did a cook last week for 150; 16 Butts took my UDS and my WSM 2 loads each at 10 and 11 hours on two consecutive days to complete. My objective here is to purchase something that can do the same job or a bit more in one load, and the BDS, Mega, is supposed to. Now I am not giving up any of my other smokers, so I will still have plenty of weapons for sides, appetizers, etc.

And if I find in a couple of years that I need something still bigger, well, I should have made enough money off these other cooks to justify a Lang, Klose, Spicewine or something along those lines.

I think I'll get the BDS... Thx evry1 for their input!

Sounds like a plan...here are the specs...for everyone's curiosity...including mine! :p

Mega 3143The Mega BDS Model 3143 is the MACK DADDY of the BDS Family. This model is 31" diameter by 43" tall and weighs 130 pounds. Comes with 2 huge cooking racks, each with 7 inches clearance. Made with 16 gauge cold-rolled steel. Fits 20 large pork butts, 8 whole packer briskets or 24 whole chickens.
$975.00

Mega3143.jpg

I guess I don't appreciate the wow factor much -

To me, there is almost more "wow" in a drum - it is actually something different.

Curious, has anyone tryed racking their brisket? Likewise a square drum smoker could hang or rack a ton of meat. I was thinking about converting an old refrigerator using the draft technque of the uds - wanted to be able to smoke a hog worth of sausage at a time. I suspect a sealed refrigerator shell (with metal lining) and a BBQ guru would make one hell of a smoker.

The ProQ has that wow as you don't see them around plus it gas a built in holder to hang meat from. For900 bones I would go with the ProQ and some stackers.

I would have to go with the mega BDS. I have the jumbo and a standard and love them. I would have the mega too if I could talk the wife into it. Rocky did a test cook with 4 20lb shoulders on one rack, so it definately has the space.

100_5550.jpg

Going for the Stainless?
Stainless Mega 3143-S
Same as the Mega BDS Model 3143, but made with 16 gauge 304 grade stainless steel. A gorgeous powerhouse. This is THE ULTIMATE BDS!!

$2,695.00​

Nope! Getting a used only twice unit from Rocky, the standard Mega 3143. He has installed the "premium 3" temp gauge w/glow in the dark, a 49.95 "value". With the savings of 75 bones from the new price, my used twice price is $124.95 of the same for new.

Best of luck let us know.

I just talked the wife into another stacker for the XL because we have a gig in march. It's going to be great not having to lift out racks to get to things. They requested the idea a pig so I may be after two stackers to hang it with.

Back