UDS vs BDS opinions please!

Its the cook not the cooker.

It's the crowd, not the cook....

243knc8.jpg

I'm in the WOW camp, but I also love the drums-so I can't wait for pics of your Mega loaded to the gills!

WOW! The wow factor here is that I sure did not expect 28 responses in less than 12 hours, but I appreciate every one of them.

Regarding the question can I feed 200 out of a drum?; well, out of the Mega I am supposed to have a 20 butt capcity. I did a cook last week for 150; 16 Butts took my UDS and my WSM 2 loads each at 10 and 11 hours on two consecutive days to complete. My objective here is to purchase something that can do the same job or a bit more in one load, and the BDS, Mega, is supposed to. Now I am not giving up any of my other smokers, so I will still have plenty of weapons for sides, appetizers, etc.

And if I find in a couple of years that I need something still bigger, well, I should have made enough money off these other cooks to justify a Lang, Klose, Spicewine or something along those lines.

I think I'll get the BDS... Thx evry1 for their input!

Sounds like a plan...here are the specs...for everyone's curiosity...including mine! :p

Mega 3143The Mega BDS Model 3143 is the MACK DADDY of the BDS Family. This model is 31" diameter by 43" tall and weighs 130 pounds. Comes with 2 huge cooking racks, each with 7 inches clearance. Made with 16 gauge cold-rolled steel. Fits 20 large pork butts, 8 whole packer briskets or 24 whole chickens.
$975.00

Mega3143.jpg

I guess I don't appreciate the wow factor much -

To me, there is almost more "wow" in a drum - it is actually something different.

Curious, has anyone tryed racking their brisket? Likewise a square drum smoker could hang or rack a ton of meat. I was thinking about converting an old refrigerator using the draft technque of the uds - wanted to be able to smoke a hog worth of sausage at a time. I suspect a sealed refrigerator shell (with metal lining) and a BBQ guru would make one hell of a smoker.

The ProQ has that wow as you don't see them around plus it gas a built in holder to hang meat from. For900 bones I would go with the ProQ and some stackers.

I would have to go with the mega BDS. I have the jumbo and a standard and love them. I would have the mega too if I could talk the wife into it. Rocky did a test cook with 4 20lb shoulders on one rack, so it definately has the space.

100_5550.jpg

Going for the Stainless?
Stainless Mega 3143-S
Same as the Mega BDS Model 3143, but made with 16 gauge 304 grade stainless steel. A gorgeous powerhouse. This is THE ULTIMATE BDS!!

$2,695.00​

Nope! Getting a used only twice unit from Rocky, the standard Mega 3143. He has installed the "premium 3" temp gauge w/glow in the dark, a 49.95 "value". With the savings of 75 bones from the new price, my used twice price is $124.95 of the same for new.

Best of luck let us know.

I just talked the wife into another stacker for the XL because we have a gig in march. It's going to be great not having to lift out racks to get to things. They requested the idea a pig so I may be after two stackers to hang it with.

Back